Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by André Velle <an...@netcom-gsm.no> on 2004/06/23 15:02:44 UTC

[Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Hi,

We released our new corporate website based on Cocoon 2.1.4 and Lenya 1.2-dev
this morning. Take a look at http://netcom.no/

I'd like to thank all the developers that have put code into Lenya. Great work!

Regards,
André Velle

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
André Velle wrote:

> During stress test we had a problem where the Lenya started giving 404's under
> very heavy load (>60 hits per second). We tracked this down to the
> language-checking task (in publication-sitemap). Under heavy load it started
> giving "broken pipe" IOExceptions. We didn't really need it (the site is
> monolingual), so we just removed the call instead of fixing it/investigating
> further. The problem might just have been a pooling issue: I noticed that this
> action relies on a poolable component that in the default setup isn't pooled.

interesting. can you file a bug with the details you have figured out?

> Other than that, no major problems that we would't expect using this fresh
> software. We could make the solution more elegant here and there, we'll look
> into that during summer. For example, we're using forms-based applications on
> many pages, and our integration of this in Lenya is a bit hacky. We have a
> special "application" tag that editors can put into our xml source. This gets
> replaced with the application runtime using cinclude. We have made "placeholder"
> pages for each app in Lenya, so editors can control their use, publish them etc.
> We also use these pages to generate a list that allows editors to select
> applications in Xopus.

thats an interesting approach. can you wikify it?

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by André Velle <an...@netcom-gsm.no>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss <gregor <at> apache.org> writes:

> that site looks cool :) i take it is based on the default publication?
>
> what were the major problems you were facing?

Hi,
Sorry for not answering sooner, I've been on a (short) holiday,

The publication is based on the default one, yes. Our main problem was
understanding the file structure ;-).
Other than that, we had some problems with Xopus integration when using the
newest Xopus, so we had to change usage from the standard to make
checkin/checkout work properly. (We call the a checkin page when exiting xopus
rather than the way it is described in the guide). However, we started out in
february, so some of our files might be out of date. We want to do an upgrade to
the released version before suggesting changing any docs. Anyway, the problem
was easy enough to find/fix.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
André Velle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We released our new corporate website based on Cocoon 2.1.4 and Lenya 1.2-dev
> this morning. Take a look at http://netcom.no/
>
> I'd like to thank all the developers that have put code into Lenya. Great work!

that site looks cool :) i take it is based on the default publication?

what were the major problems you were facing?

i'll add it to the live sites now.

-gregor

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
André Velle wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We released our new corporate website based on Cocoon 2.1.4 and Lenya 1.2-dev
>this morning. Take a look at http://netcom.no/
>
>I'd like to thank all the developers that have put code into Lenya. Great work!

very cool :-)

btw, this reminds me that EJO (European Journalism Obeservatory)
http://www.ejo.ch is also using Lenya

Michi

>Regards,
>André Velle

Michael Wechner

Re: AW: AW: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Christian Kreutz wrote:

> If I don't have suddenly a unregulary fast connection it seems
> the page load time is much faster. :-)
> Excellent! I would defintely include this to the documentation.

go ahead ;-)

no seriously can you write in the end of the thread a summary of that?
Would help a million and I promise I will incooperate that into the docu!

TIA
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <acronymfinder>http://www.acronymfinder.com</acronymfinder>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

AW: AW: AW: AW: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.

> Christian Kreutz wrote:
>
> > Where? How? Any hint?
> > sorry for asking so much - just sounds very interesting :-)
>
> hehe, as long as you document it...
>
> ;)

:-)

okay. when I get it to work and understand it I document it in Wiki !!

Re: AW: AW: AW: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.

> it's stored within
>
> {global:cache-dir}
>
> whereas
>
>     <map:component-configurations>
>       <global-variables>
>         <cache-dir>work/cache</cache-dir>
>       </global-variables>
>     </map:component-configurations>

goes in global-sitemap.xmap?

> strange that it works for you, because actually you would
> have to configure that ;-)

I guess this was because of a restart on tomcat - still having problems
with the persistent store.
Btw in the CMS it is says cocoon 2.1.5 but in the logs it says cocoon
2.1.4.
My nightly build is a week old.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Christian Kreutz wrote:

>If I don't have suddenly a unregulary fast connection it seems
>the page load time is much faster. :-)
>Excellent! I would defintely include this to the documentation.
>One more question. How can I erase the cache or where is it
>stored?

it's stored within

{global:cache-dir}

whereas

    <map:component-configurations>
      <global-variables>
        <cache-dir>work/cache</cache-dir>
      </global-variables>
    </map:component-configurations>

strange that it works for you, because actually you would have to configure that ;-)

The publisher needs to be modified, such that it deletes the files accordingly

> A tomcat restart would erase it?

this cache has nothing to do with Tomcat or Cocoon ...

HTH

Michi

>Thanks
>
>Chris

Michael Wechner

AW: AW: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.
If I don't have suddenly a unregulary fast connection it seems
the page load time is much faster. :-)
Excellent! I would defintely include this to the documentation.
One more question. How can I erase the cache or where is it
stored? A tomcat restart would erase it?

Thanks

Chris

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Jann Forrer wrote:
>

> >What happens if the is access  for a live site is restriced?
> >

> you mean that the access control screen would be saved?
>
> this shouldn't happen, because you explictely save the stuff
> within the pipeline and not what is being show to the user in the end.

Ah, ok that clarifies a lot. So if I understand you right a page which
have an AC will then work correctly (i.e. shwoing the login screen first)
even if it is cached .... I will try to implement that on my local
installation and  see what happens :-)

Jann

Jann Forrer
Informatikdienste
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich

oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
 \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>What happens if the is access  for a live site is restriced?

you mean that the access control screen would be saved?

this shouldn't happen, because you explictely save the stuff
within the pipeline and not what is being show to the user in the end.

Or do I misunderstand you?

>Jann

>Jann Forrer
>Informatikdienste
>Winterthurerstr. 190
>CH-8057 Zuerich
>
>oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
>(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
> \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
>  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Michael Wechner

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> >On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

[ ... ]

> the pipeline looks as follows:
>
> <map:match pattern="**.html">
>   <map:select type="resource-exists">
>     <!-- Read from cache if file exists -->
>     <map:when test="{global:cache-dir}/{1}.html">
>       <map:read src="{global:cache-dir}/{1}.html" mime-type="text/html"/>
>     </map:when>
>     <map:otherwise>
>
>        <!-- here is my custom generation of the HTML -->
>
>        <!-- Write to cache -->
>        <map:transform src="../../xslt/authoring/edit/addSourceTags.xsl">
>          <map:parameter name="source" value="{global:cache-dir}/{1}.html"/>
>        </map:transform>
>        <map:transform type="write-source">
>          <map:parameter name="serializer" value="html-no-dtd"/>
>        </map:transform>
>        <map:transform src="../../xslt/authoring/edit/removeSourceTags.xsl"/>
>        <map:serialize type="html"/>
>      </map:otherwise>
>    </map:select>
>  </map:match>

What happens if the is access  for a live site is restriced?

Jann

Jann Forrer
Informatikdienste
Universit�t Z�rich

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>Jann Forrer wrote:
>>

>[ ... ]
>

>>btw, the performance of the live site can be drastically improved
>>by dumping the dynamically generated document (e.g. HTML) with the
>>source write transformer and on the second request serving it statically
>>from a "caching" directory on the filesystem. When one publishes the
>>document
>>new then one needs to delete this file of course.
>>

>Interesting, but frankly said I have no idea at the moment howto do that.
>Any hints?

the pipeline looks as follows:

<map:match pattern="**.html">
  <map:select type="resource-exists">
    <!-- Read from cache if file exists -->
    <map:when test="{global:cache-dir}/{1}.html">
      <map:read src="{global:cache-dir}/{1}.html" mime-type="text/html"/>
    </map:when>
    <map:otherwise>

       <!-- here is my custom generation of the HTML -->

       <!-- Write to cache -->
       <map:transform src="../../xslt/authoring/edit/addSourceTags.xsl">
         <map:parameter name="source" value="{global:cache-dir}/{1}.html"/>
       </map:transform>
       <map:transform type="write-source">
         <map:parameter name="serializer" value="html-no-dtd"/>
       </map:transform>
       <map:transform src="../../xslt/authoring/edit/removeSourceTags.xsl"/>
       <map:serialize type="html"/>
     </map:otherwise>
   </map:select>
 </map:match>

>>One could also patch resp. enhance the mod_cache module of Apache in order
>>to provide files from this caching directory.
>>
>>(at the moment mod_disk_cache and mod_mem-cache are husing hashes to do
>>this, which doesn't help in this case, but one could write a
>>mod_lenya_cache ;-)
>>

>Ok let's keep that in memory ;-)

mod_lenya_cache would directly access {global:cache-dir}/{1}.html
through a standard Apache webserver (fast as hell ;-)

Michi

>Jann

>Jann Forrer
>Informatikdienste
>Winterthurerstr. 190
>CH-8057 Zuerich
>
>oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
>(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
> \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
>  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Michael Wechner

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Jann Forrer wrote:

[ ... ]

> btw, the performance of the live site can be drastically improved
> by dumping the dynamically generated document (e.g. HTML) with the
> source write transformer and on the second request serving it statically
> from a "caching" directory on the filesystem. When one publishes the
> document
> new then one needs to delete this file of course.

Interesting, but frankly said I have no idea at the moment howto do that.
Any hints?

> One could also patch resp. enhance the mod_cache module of Apache in order
> to provide files from this caching directory.
>
> (at the moment mod_disk_cache and mod_mem-cache are husing hashes to do
> this, which doesn't help in this case, but one could write a
> mod_lenya_cache ;-)

Ok let's keep that in memory ;-)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, [utf-8] André Velle wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>We released our new corporate website based on Cocoon 2.1.4 and Lenya 1.2-dev
>>this morning. Take a look at http://netcom.no/
>>
>>I'd like to thank all the developers that have put code into Lenya. Great work!
>>

>Very nice site  :-)
>
>I m interested in your setup: Did you use apache (mod_proxy) together with
>tomcat or did you export your whole site? What are your experiences
>concerning e.g. performance ......

btw, the performance of the live site can be drastically improved
by dumping the dynamically generated document (e.g. HTML) with the
source write transformer and on the second request serving it statically
from a "caching" directory on the filesystem. When one publishes the
document
new then one needs to delete this file of course.

One could also patch resp. enhance the mod_cache module of Apache in order
to provide files from this caching directory.

(at the moment mod_disk_cache and mod_mem-cache are husing hashes to do
this, which doesn't help in this case, but one could write a
mod_lenya_cache ;-)

Michi

>Jann

Michael Wechner

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live

Posted by André Velle <an...@netcom-gsm.no>.
Jann Forrer <jann.forrer <at> id.unizh.ch> writes:

> Very nice site
>
> I m interested in your setup: Did you use apache (mod_proxy) together with
> tomcat or did you export your whole site? What are your experiences
> concerning e.g. performance ......
>
> Jann

We have dynamic data on very many pages, which gives us a complex pipeline
setup. So we are perhaps not the most "typical" Lenya setup. The complexity
means that we have poor "best case" response times (300 ms). However, we have
found that by tuning the pools in cocoon Lenya/Cocoon itself scales very well,
so this isn't much of a problem. Response times did not exceed 7 seconds on our
most complex pages (several web service calls) when stress testing with 50 hits
per second.

To improve performance we have a bank of blades with apache/mod_proxy in front.
This takes care of images and the like.

Regards,
André

Re: [Ann] New Lenya-based site live