Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Keith and Teri Kwiatek <kw...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/15 22:20:48 UTC

HELP: SSL support is not enabled in via configure????

Hello,

I ran:

./configure --prefix=/home/scm/subversion --without-berkeley-db
--enable-ssl=yes

BUT notice from the configure output that it says SSL is not enabled.....
what is with this.... I want SSL enabled in order to use SVN+SSH, right?

Can anyone help me?  Keith

configure: SSL support is not enabled
configure: SOCKSv5 support is not enabled
checking for krb5-config... none
configure: WebDAV support is enabled
configure: XML parser used: expat in /home/kkwiatek/subversion-1.3.0
/apr-util/xml/expat/lib
configure: debugging is enabled
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating neon-config
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: creating neon.pc
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
configure: Configured to build neon 0.25.4:

  Install prefix:  /home/scm/subversion
  Compiler:        gcc
  XML Parser:      expat in /home/kkwiatek/subversion-1.3.0
/apr-util/xml/expat/lib
  SSL library:     SSL support is not enabled
  zlib support:    zlib support enabled, using -lz
  Build libraries: Shared=yes, Static=no

Re: HELP: SSL support is not enabled in via configure????

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 15, 2006, at 23:20, Keith and Teri Kwiatek wrote:

> I ran:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/scm/subversion --without-berkeley-db --
> enable-ssl=yes
>

> BUT notice from the configure output that it says SSL is not
> enabled..... what is with this.... I want SSL enabled in order to
> use SVN+SSH, right?

According to ./configure --help, the option is called "--with-ssl":

   --with-ssl              This option does NOT affect the Subversion
build
                           process in any way. It enables OpenSSL
support in
                           the Neon library. If and only if you are
building
                           Neon as an integrated part of the
Subversion build
                           process, rather than linking to an already
installed
                           version of Neon, you probably want to pass
this
                           option so that Neon (and so indirectly,
Subversion)
                           will be capable of https:// access.

And as you see, it only applies to enabling Neon support for https.
It has nothing to do with svn+ssh, which works simply by virtue of
you running an ssh server on the machine. The Subversion server
itself never speaks any SSL protocol in this scenario.