Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/19 22:20:44 UTC

[Discuss] CloudStack Collab Summit 2013

Given that we are part of the way into 2013 I thought I would bring up the topic of the CloudStack Collab Summit(s) for this year. I am willing to put up the sponsorship to secure a venue and get the ball rolling. I also hear rumblings of folks willing to help do a CloudStack Collaboration Summit in Amsterdam as well.

For CloudStack Collaboration Conference 2012 we were at capacity at 300 attendees and we had a waiting list. I am thinking that we will want to have space for at least 600 for the next event.

I would like to propose a CloudStack Collab Summit in Silicon Valley this spring (May?) and one in the fall in Europe in Amsterdam(November?). If we don't get any significant objections I'll be glad to work on a proposal similar to last time and get the blessing of the PPMC and the Apache Events Committee.  Comments, feedback,flames?

Regards,

Mark R. Hinkle
Senior Director, Cloud Computing Community
Citrix Systems
e: mark.hinkle@citrix.com
twitter: @mrhinkle

Re: [Discuss] CloudStack Collab Summit 2013

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
I think having them so far apart (geographically) makes it ok.

I would love to be a part of the silicon valley one. And I think there is a large part of the community that feels left out if we only hold official events in NA.

Based on social rumblings, and IDCs interesting figures, I think interest is quite high going into 2013.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:40:58PM -0800, Alex Huang wrote:
> One question I have is should we time the event to announce graduation at one of the collabs?  Or is it too much coordination?

Honestly, I think that it's too much coordination.  If we are allowed to
graduate, then the next conference can be a bit of a party around that!

-chip

RE: [Discuss] CloudStack Collab Summit 2013

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
One question I have is should we time the event to announce graduation at one of the collabs?  Or is it too much coordination?

--Alex

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 06:13:36PM -0500, Mark Hinkle wrote:
>> The best laid plans.....
>>
>> I heard back from our EMEA contingent for the Collab Summit and their
>> conference planners think that the the spring might be too aggressive to
>> but on the European event.
>>
>> The conference folks that organized ApacheCon (The Open Bastion) tell me
>> that they are available to organize the North American event this spring
>> and have a venue available on June 23 through 25 in Silicon Valley for 500
>> people. I think that we can make that happen.
>>
>> Then we can give the European folks enough time to plan an event in the
>> fall in Amersterdam.
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any objections time is ticking and I think
>> as agreed it would be good to have two events so not everyone has to
>> travel so far.
>>
>> Regards, Mark
>
> I think we should go for it as you propose.  NA summit in the June, and
> an EU one for the fall.

+1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
The best laid plans.....

Posted by kd...@apache.org.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
As long as they're separate audiences, and there are separate planners
involved, it should be fine. I do wonder though if there is a good
chunk of the audience that would end up choosing one or the other, for
example our friends in Asia/Pacific. It would be nice to see some of
those guys (or the europeans) at the US one on occasion.

We could do 1 a year, rotate continents, and put some of the resources
that would have gone into the second one into sponsoring committers
from outside to travel.  Or we could do multiples and just assume that
individuals will rotate which ones they go to if they can only do it
once a year.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
On 02/21/2013 09:47 AM, Hugo Trippaers wrote:

> Awsome that we can have two summits in one year!
>
> I do have a slight preference to do the Europe summit earlier in the year. I believe CloudStack is gaining a lot of momentum in Europa and having a summit here good pull a lot of people it that would like to participate in the CloudStack community. November sounds a bit late in this year for this event, I'd say sooner rather than later.
>
> On the practical side I'd rather be in the bay area in November and May in Amsterdam with regards to the weather ;-)

Ack! I'd love to see one in Europe (Amsterdam ftw!) this year, but
somewhere in September might be better.

Hugo and me are locals, so we can probably help out with arranging stuff
in Amsterdam.

Wido

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013, at 03:20 PM, Mark Hinkle wrote:
> I would like to propose a CloudStack Collab Summit in Silicon Valley this
> spring (May?) and one in the fall in Europe in Amsterdam(November?). If
> we don't get any significant objections I'll be glad to work on a
> proposal similar to last time and get the blessing of the PPMC and the
> Apache Events Committee.  Comments, feedback,flames?

No objections, but I do want to point out possible conflicts in May.
Most of these are probably OK to coincide with, but Interop and the
Virtualization and Cloud Summit may be events to avoid. Or we may want
to look at being part of the event in Anaheim in some way..

DevOps Days Austin
April 20 - May 1, 2013 - Austin, TX

Interop Las Vegas
6th–10th May 2013

Linux Enterprise End User Summit
May 14 - 15, 2013 - New York, NY

GLUECon
May 22 - 23, 2013 - Broomfield, CO

DevOps Summit
May 23, 2013 - London

LinuxTag
May 22 - 25, 2013 - Berlin

Texas LinuxFest
May 31 - June 1, 2013 - Austin, TX

LinuxCon Japan
May 29-31, 2013 - Tokyo, Japan

Virtualization and Cloud Summit 2013
May 30 - June 6, 2013 - Anaheim, CA

Best,

jzb

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
+1, yes lets do it in Europe in May.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
+1 to Rohit's comment.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
I am sure all the Silicon Valley folks in community  would be happy to see the Collab 2013 in Bay Area

Animesh

Posted by Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com>.
+1, Looking forward to it. Anyone going to be at this Cloud connect
event happening in april?

--
Thanks.
-Jason

Re: [Discuss] CloudStack Collab Summit 2013

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
+1.