Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by "Sjoquist, Carl" <cs...@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com> on 2003/10/10 16:57:17 UTC

general question on JCS

Greetings
The website positions JCS as a "front-tier" cache.  Is there any reason that
JCS also can't be used in the app tier as well?  What is the general policy
for thread sync in JCS?  Is JCS generally free threaded, i.e. not thread
safe?
Also, I'd be interested to hear about people doing any kind of heavy-duty,
commercial app use of JCS.  I'm trying to determine where things are in
terms of stability, reliability, et al...
Thanks much

from the website:
JCS is a front-tier cache that can be configured to maintain consistency
across multiple servers by using a centralized remote server or by lateral
distribution of cache updates. Other caches, like the Javlin EJB data cache,
are basically in-memory databases that sit between your EJB's and your
database. Rather than trying to speed up your slow EJB's, you can avoid most
of the network traffic and the complexity by implementing JCS front-tier
caching. Centralize your EJB access or your JDBC data access into local
managers and perform the caching there.

Re: general question on JCS

Posted by Craig Johannsen <cr...@ludicorp.com>.
Hi Carl,

I would think it is fine to use JCS almost anywhere you need caching.
It can be configured to be relatively light weight if needed.

At Ludicorp, we are using JCS for a massively multi-player online
game (http://www.gameneverending.com).  The game is still in development,
but beta testers have been using it for as long as 20 days without a reboot
and without any sign of a memory leak.  Ultimately, we plan to support
hundreds of thousands of simultaneous users, probably several thousand
very active users per server machine.  So, eventually, our app will be
heavy duty.
Game players exercise a game server more intensely than web users exercise
a web server.  For example, there is more object updating going on and also
we are pushing events to the game client quite frequently.

JCS is used in Hibernate, which is fairly popular, though I don't know of
a specific heavy duty commerical app that uses it.

JBoss Group has recently said they would incorporate Hibernate into their
project, so I wonder if that means they will include JCS as well. (?)

Cheers,
Craig