Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> on 2004/10/17 06:08:53 UTC

My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Wrote what I was doing as I was trying to compile SVN from source
tonight.

Maybe it will help someone else on the list.  There is still work to be
done, like SSL and user permissions, but the main meat is there.

http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=313

Cheers,
Chris

Re: My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> writes:
> My Experiences To Date [Subversion version 1.0.9 (r11378)]
>
> Step 1:  Compilation
> http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=313
>
> Step 2:  Configuration
> http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=315
>
> Step 3:  Security Concerns (SSL through Apache)
> http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=317
>
> Please mirror these and not link directly to them.  I doubt my little
> internet connection could handle a large load.
>
> I plan on writing these up in a more polished way and publishing the
> files to a stronger server.

I think I'll wait until you've done that before linking to them, then.
(Especially as the current pages are a little bit embedded in their
Content Management System, and would need some unstitching work to be
mirrored anyway).

So sorry for the Yet Another Postponement, but can you tell us the new
links when you have the polished versions up on a stronger server?

The documents do look like they'd be helpful for a lot of people, I
read them over.

> I also plan on going to the "just released" 1.1.1 which has FSFS
> support.  I'll document how I do with that too and add it to the list.

Oooh, that'd be great...

-Karl

Re: My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.

--
Software Engineering IV,
McMaster University

Re: My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Posted by Wolfgang Fritz <wo...@keymile.com>.
Christopher Ness wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 10:59, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>
>>I'd like to make the link when it's done, if it's convenient for you
>>to ping us here again when you're finished.
>

> Not quite done, but I'd like some feedback on scraping the /etc/shadow
> file to populate an AuthUserFile for httpd authentication.  Is there a
> better way?
>
> http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=315
>
> I put up red flags all around it, and I know people could really shoot
> themselves in the foot (by not using SSL).  But who's not to say users
> won't pick the same password as their shell login anyway?  And wouldn't
> it be nice to have it update automagically (or every 5 minutes or so).
>
> Could this be done in a more safe way with PAM somehow?

I am doing authentication with PAM (mod_auth_pam) so all our NIS users
can authenticate with their ordinary user/password, and doing access
control to the repos with AuthzSVNAccessFile.

If you want local users to be able to authenticate via PAM, you must
give apache read access to /etc/shadow. I've set up a group "shadow"
with members root and wwwrun, and /etc/shadow is

rw-r-----    1 root     shadow        611 Aug 24 14:23 /etc/shadow

This is not safer than your solution, but good enough in our environment.

Wolfgang

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 10:59, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> I'd like to make the link when it's done, if it's convenient for you
> to ping us here again when you're finished.

Not quite done, but I'd like some feedback on scraping the /etc/shadow
file to populate an AuthUserFile for httpd authentication.  Is there a
better way?

http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=315

I put up red flags all around it, and I know people could really shoot
themselves in the foot (by not using SSL).  But who's not to say users
won't pick the same password as their shell login anyway?  And wouldn't
it be nice to have it update automagically (or every 5 minutes or so).

Could this be done in a more safe way with PAM somehow?

Chris

Re: My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> writes:
> I'm working on finishing up, but compiling PHP is killing me slowly.  I
> need that for other users on my server.

I'd like to make the link when it's done, if it's convenient for you
to ping us here again when you're finished.

Thanks,
-K

Re: My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 00:46, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=313
>
> Is this a permanent URL?  And are you planning to finish the story?

The link is as permanent.  I will notify if the bandwidth becomes too
large.

I'm working on finishing up, but compiling PHP is killing me slowly.  I
need that for other users on my server.

> If so, we might want to link to this from somewhere.  You encountered
> & solved some common problems, and your text is really easy to follow,

Thank you.  Feel free to mirror the page.
Chris

Re: My Experience Compiling SVN (for apache) So Far

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> writes:
> Wrote what I was doing as I was trying to compile SVN from source
> tonight.
>
> Maybe it will help someone else on the list.  There is still work to be
> done, like SSL and user permissions, but the main meat is there.
>
> http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=313

Thanks!

Is this a permanent URL?  And are you planning to finish the story?
If so, we might want to link to this from somewhere.  You encountered
& solved some common problems, and your text is really easy to follow,

Let us know,
-Karl