Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> on 2014/06/02 04:50:28 UTC

Maven core contributors validator their changes against the integration tests

Hi,

There have been a lot of great patches for Maven core recently which is a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately it's not readily apparent to contributors what is required to accept a patch into core. Not only must the unit tests pass, but the integration tests must pass as well. Our integration tests catch most things and we're in a state where much of what should be tested in the unit tests are only captured in the integration tests. This is not a horrible thing in and of itself but it makes it fairly time consuming to test for non-core developers. I don't think most people even know we have an integration test suite or where they are.

While not perfect, until we have automation to validate changes, I created a shell script to help those making changes to core more easily see if their changes have broken anything:

https://gist.github.com/jvanzyl/16da25976f8ad27293fa

If you have made a pull request, this script will apply your PR as a patch to master, build Maven and then use the just-built Maven to run the integration tests. If this script succeeds it becomes an order of magnitude easier to review the change knowing nothing is broken. This is not to say your patch will be immediately accepted if everything passes but it helps contributors to know nothing is broken which makes looking at a patch far more appealing to the core developers.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: Maven core contributors validator their changes against the integration tests

Posted by Paolo Compieta <pa...@gmail.com>.
For those who work on Win7, a pretty equivalent batch script:
https://gist.github.com/pcompieta/0b202e9ce57e490c84c4

Unfortunately, i found no pull request at the moment to test it as a whole
(#22 is open but already committed to master), but i tried all pieces
separately and it should work as expected - feedbacks are welcome.

Hope it helps
Paolo Compieta