Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/03/22 17:45:07 UTC

gump dependancy on MySQL - is this necessary?

Hi all,

I have been trying to get gump to work on a Solaris v2.8 machine, and have
got stuck with it's dependancy on MySQL.

>From looking at the project descriptors, database use seems to be
optional. When you try and run gump however, the present of mysql python
bindings is mandatory.

For many complex reasons specific to this machine installing the mysql
bindings is turning out to be a difficult exercise, and I would like to
neatly avoid having to install mysql + extras if this can be avoided
entirely.

Is there a way to avoid the dependancy on mysql in gump?

Regards,
Graham

Re: gump dependancy on MySQL - is this necessary?

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> Is there a way to avoid the dependancy on mysql in gump?

Yeah, it is an optional dependency. Ought cope gracefully if the Python
MySQL driver isn't there, and/or if the workspace doesn't give DB details.
That said, what are you seeing?

regards,

Adam

Re: gump dependancy on MySQL - is this necessary?

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> I then ran into the next problem though: The next thing gump tries to do
> is svn update itself. Problem is this machine cannot see the net
> (another long annoying story) and so this step fails. Is it possible to
> stop gump from trying a self update?

Try exporting the environment variable GUMP_NO_SCM_UPDATE. That ought
(effectively) be GUMP_NO_SVN_UPDATE and GUMP_NO_CVS_UPDATE rolled into one.

regards,

Adam

Re: gump dependancy on MySQL - is this necessary?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> I suspect that we'll need to change some code to enable that, but it
> shouldn't be too difficult. Adam might be able to do it real quickly. I'll
> try and have a look.
>
> In the meantime maybe you could consider connecting to a remote host
> somewhere that does run mysql?

I commented out the check for the mysql library and it seems to pass
that point fine, so surrounding it with a command line option that
ignores it if specified should work in theory.

Re: gump dependancy on MySQL - is this necessary?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 22-03-2005 17:45, "Graham Leggett" <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi graham!

> I have been trying to get gump to work on a Solaris v2.8 machine, and have
> got stuck with it's dependancy on MySQL.
>
>> From looking at the project descriptors, database use seems to be
> optional. When you try and run gump however, the present of mysql python
> bindings is mandatory.
>
> For many complex reasons specific to this machine installing the mysql
> bindings is turning out to be a difficult exercise, and I would like to
> neatly avoid having to install mysql + extras if this can be avoided
> entirely.
>
> Is there a way to avoid the dependancy on mysql in gump?

I suspect that we'll need to change some code to enable that, but it
shouldn't be too difficult. Adam might be able to do it real quickly. I'll
try and have a look.

In the meantime maybe you could consider connecting to a remote host
somewhere that does run mysql?

Cheers,

Leo