Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2003/05/09 17:10:09 UTC

New client API idea

Hello,

In my current project, I am using an XML-RPC API from another company.
 It has the potential to return very large responses, which have taken
up to 5 minutes to stream in real world usage and could take much longer
I suppose.

I have spent some hours thinking over ways to streamline the client side
code and would like to implement something like SAX or XML pull parsers
for the client.  That is, I am thinking that a user would specify
somehow (JXPath?) a repeated piece of the response and then the client
would either A) execute a method on a listener (like SAX) or B) Make
available in a queue (like XML pull parsing) that piece.  Example:
a response has a struct that contains among other things an array.  That
array contains structs.  Perhaps the user could specify
responseModel.getStruct().getMember("myarray").  Then, the parser would
stop and create the appropriate java objects and return them each time
it receives a complete struct inside myarray.  I still haven't decided
whether a push or pull event model makes more sense.

I will probably be doing a spike on this sometime next week, so I'd
appreciate anyone's input on this stuff.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks