Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Daryl Richter <dr...@funddevelopmentservices.com> on 2007/05/24 16:29:04 UTC

Warning and then OutOfMemoryError

Hey-

Last night one of our brokers, running a build of ActiveMQ 4.2-SNAPSHOT
built a couple of weeks ago, crashed with the following output:

WARN  TcpTransport                   - Cannot set socket buffer size = 65536
Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport Server: ssl://localhost:62622"
Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Connection
Dispatcher: 24407889" Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport:
tcp:///10.100.103.146:4280" Exception in thread "
btpool0-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "RMI RenewClean-[10.100.101.102:47825]"
ERROR TransportStatusDetector        - failed to complete a sweep for
blocked clients
ERROR TransactionTemplate            - Having to Rollback - caught an
exception: java.io.IOException: Java excep
tion: 'Java heap space: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError'.

At this point the broker became unresponsive.

Does that WARN have anything to do with it?  There aren't timestamps so I
can't tell the time sequence.

We are connecting to this broker exclusively with Stomp clients.  The
throughput is not large, though there was active messaging at the time.

Thanks!

--
Daryl Richter -:- Fund Development Services
440 Park Avenue South -:- 14th Floor -:- Manhattan -:- NY -:- 10016

e://drichter@funddevelopmentservices.com
o://212/920.3526
m://917/536.0789

Re: Warning and then OutOfMemoryError

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 5/24/07, Daryl Richter <dr...@funddevelopmentservices.com> wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Last night one of our brokers, running a build of ActiveMQ 4.2-SNAPSHOT
> built a couple of weeks ago, crashed with the following output:
>
> WARN  TcpTransport                   - Cannot set socket buffer size = 65536
> Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport Server: ssl://localhost:62622"
> Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Connection
> Dispatcher: 24407889" Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport:
> tcp:///10.100.103.146:4280" Exception in thread "
> btpool0-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> Exception in thread "RMI RenewClean-[10.100.101.102:47825]"
> ERROR TransportStatusDetector        - failed to complete a sweep for
> blocked clients
> ERROR TransactionTemplate            - Having to Rollback - caught an
> exception: java.io.IOException: Java excep
> tion: 'Java heap space: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError'.
>
> At this point the broker became unresponsive.
>
> Does that WARN have anything to do with it?

Not sure, could be just related to RAM exhaustion.

> There aren't timestamps so I
> can't tell the time sequence.
>
> We are connecting to this broker exclusively with Stomp clients.  The
> throughput is not large, though there was active messaging at the time.

What was your heap set to on your JVM? How has it been growing over
time? You might just wanna increase the heap size

--
James
-------

Re: Warning and then OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Daryl Richter <ng...@comcast.net>.
Hiram-

On 6/6/07 7:04 PM, "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:

> I'd recommend you run with a profiler and send us a link to the memory
> profile when you notice it getting close to getting an
> OutOfMemoryException.

Sure, no problem.  I have this running in both a Dev and QA system that I
can profile.  Can you point me to a link or a quick example of "running with
a profiler."

Thanks!

--
Daryl
http://itsallsemantics.com

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns, will not be discouraged."
    -- Colonel Henry Knox, 1776

Re: Warning and then OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I'd recommend you run with a profiler and send us a link to the memory
profile when you notice it getting close to getting an
OutOfMemoryException.

Regards,
Hiram

On 5/24/07, Daryl Richter <dr...@funddevelopmentservices.com> wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Last night one of our brokers, running a build of ActiveMQ 4.2-SNAPSHOT
> built a couple of weeks ago, crashed with the following output:
>
> WARN  TcpTransport                   - Cannot set socket buffer size = 65536
> Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport Server: ssl://localhost:62622"
> Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Connection
> Dispatcher: 24407889" Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport:
> tcp:///10.100.103.146:4280" Exception in thread "
> btpool0-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> Exception in thread "RMI RenewClean-[10.100.101.102:47825]"
> ERROR TransportStatusDetector        - failed to complete a sweep for
> blocked clients
> ERROR TransactionTemplate            - Having to Rollback - caught an
> exception: java.io.IOException: Java excep
> tion: 'Java heap space: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError'.
>
> At this point the broker became unresponsive.
>
> Does that WARN have anything to do with it?  There aren't timestamps so I
> can't tell the time sequence.
>
> We are connecting to this broker exclusively with Stomp clients.  The
> throughput is not large, though there was active messaging at the time.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Daryl Richter -:- Fund Development Services
> 440 Park Avenue South -:- 14th Floor -:- Manhattan -:- NY -:- 10016
>
> e://drichter@funddevelopmentservices.com
> o://212/920.3526
> m://917/536.0789

Hiram