Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/25 06:37:32 UTC

Choosing a Struts-ish framework

Does anybody have any thoughts on whether somebody starting a new
project should use WebWork or Struts 1.x? Any feel for what the
upgrade pain will be from each one to Struts 2.0?

>From what I understand, WW is going to be the much simpler upgrade,
but I'm wondering how simple. Also how is the WW activity? Struts
1.3.x still seems to have quite a few committers working on it, have
all the WW guys moved onto Struts 2.0?

I know that's all pretty open-ended, so whatever you can offer is
great :) Anectdotal evidence of how long it took to migrate an X-page
app would be great too.

Thanks,

Hen

Re: Choosing a Struts-ish framework

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
At the moment WebWork and Struts2 are *mostly* the same.  The difference
being that webwork is deemed "production ready" and s2 is just a little
ways away.

/Ian

Posted by Li <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

WW is doing integration work with Struts. WW has more features, their
intercepters are powerful.

For starting new project, it's up to you. I am currently moving from struts
to ww, I dont have any problem. So if you wanna try Struts now and later
move to WW, it should be no problem. Or you can directly start with WW...

good luck

On 9/25/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have any thoughts on whether somebody starting a new
> project should use WebWork or Struts 1.x? Any feel for what the
> upgrade pain will be from each one to Struts 2.0?
>
> From what I understand, WW is going to be the much simpler upgrade,
> but I'm wondering how simple. Also how is the WW activity? Struts
> 1.3.x still seems to have quite a few committers working on it, have
> all the WW guys moved onto Struts 2.0?
>
> I know that's all pretty open-ended, so whatever you can offer is
> great :) Anectdotal evidence of how long it took to migrate an X-page
> app would be great too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hen

When we invent time, we invent death.

Re: Choosing a Struts-ish framework

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Moving from Struts 1 to Struts 2 is non-trivial, but it is less work
than moving from Struts 1 to any other platform I could name. Both
codebases share the same architectural hallmarks. An application does
not need to be "rethought". It most cases, an application needs to be
streamlined by removing Struts 1 red tape. Struts 2 is a leaner,
cleaner Struts 1.

Since the codebases do not share namespaces or step on each other's
resources, one strategy is to just use both together. The old *.do URIs
go to Struts 1, the new *.action URIs goto Struts 2.  Then, once
everyone is comfortable with Struts 2, the old actions can be
migrated, one by one.

I'm working on a tutorial that steps through a one-by-one migration.
There's an early release here:

* http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/STRUTS/Migrating+Tutorial

But, as of just a few days ago, there's a third alternative. Thanks to
Mr Don Brown, we now have a integration layer that will help use run
Struts 1 members directly from Struts 2. I haven't looked at it yet
myself, but I will be working on integrating the integration classes
into the tutorial sometime this week.

Until yesterday, we were recommending early adopters start with
WebWork 2. But, we now have a Struts 2.0.0 test-build that we believe
will be stable, and so that's now another likely starting point. We will
be adding a few new things yet, but I doubt that there is anything left to
take away in this release series. In my own work with the codebase,
I've found the code to be rock solid. Struts 2 is a delight.

The WebWork 2.2 team members are all on the Struts PMC now, and so
they each have as much to say as anyone else around here. We've also
had other WW developers, like Crazy Bob Lee, join us as Struts
committers. Severaly "old hands" like myself and Don Brown are
focussed on Struts 2 now,  but there's a roughly equal number still
working on Struts 1.

-Ted.

-- HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/