Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com> on 2011/06/30 14:01:12 UTC

Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Hi All,

We had recently upgraded tomcat from 5.5.30 to 7.0.14. We were earlier facing
problem that tomcat was not able to connect using Static IP address. The fix
that we found was adding
address = "0.0.0.0" in the Connector tag of server.xml in the "conf" directory.

After upgrading tomcat to  7.0.14, we have done the same process, but we are
not able to connect.

The OS we found these issues are Win XP, Win 2008.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Rohan Kadam.

"Legal Disclaimer: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Cybage Software Private Limited which may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail to and destroy the original message and all copies. Cybage has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize the risk of malicious content in the mail, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any malicious content in this e-mail. You should carry out your own malicious content checks before opening the e-mail or attachment."
www.cybage.com

RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Hi,

Please find answers to your question.

1. What exactly is "not able"?  Do you have a stacktrace?
Ans: We are trying to connect tomcat to some static IP. When trying to connect it, we are not able to connect it. Yes the port value is right. And the tomcat is up. The problem occurs when we try to connect our application with one of the static IP. All the other pages we are able to navigate properly.

2. What exactly connector is being used?
["http-apr-/0.0.0.0-7070"-exec-8] ERROR rcl.HttpHelper  - for a PUT, the response code is - 401 response message -- Unauthorized

3. "we have done the same process" means you are trying to use "0.0.0.0"
like you did with 5.5 and now it fails?
Ans: Yes

Please let me know, if more information is required.

Thanks,
Rohan Kadam.

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Hello All,

Your help for this would be appreciable. Please let me know, if more information is required on the same.

> We had recently upgraded tomcat from 5.5.30 to 7.0.14. We were earlier
> facing problem that tomcat was not able to connect using Static IP
> address. The fix that we found was adding address = "0.0.0.0" in the
> Connector tag of server.xml in the "conf" directory.

1) What exactly is "not able"?  Do you have a stacktrace?

Maybe some other process already uses that port number? Was the value for address a correct one?

> <Connector port="7070" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
>               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
> address="0.0.0.0" />

2) What exactly connector is being used?

In your configuration Tomcat autoselects between two:
"Http11Protocol" or "Http11AprProtocol"
 - which one is actually used  is mentioned in the logs.

> After upgrading tomcat to  7.0.14, we have done the same process, but
> we are not able to connect.

"we have done the same process" means you are trying to use "0.0.0.0"
like you did with 5.5 and now it fails? (or that you tried your proper network address and failed with that, but 0.0.0.0 works)?

> The OS we found these issues are Win XP, Win 2008.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Rohan Kadam [mailto:rohanka@cybage.com]
>> Subject: RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)
>
>> I tried again. And still not successful, please find the stack trace below -
>
>> INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused: connect
>> Jul 13, 2011 12:10:36 PM org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
>> INFO: Retrying request
>> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
>>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>>         at com.symantec.lua.util.rcl.HttpHelper.open(HttpHelper.java:209)
>>         at com.symantec.lua.manager.config.ConfigManagerUtil.testServerConnection(ConfigManagerUtil.java:82)
>>         at com.symantec.lua.manager.config.ConfigManagerUtil.testServerConnection(ConfigManagerUtil.java:30)
>>         at com.symantec.lua.presentation.common.ServerStatusAction.doAction(ServerStatusAction.java:148)
>>         at com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.ActionThread.run(ActionThread.java:76)
>>         at com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.CoreAction.execute(CoreAction.java:184)
>
> Note that this has _nothing_ to do with Tomcat.  Contrary to your subject line, it's not Tomcat that is unable to connect to some external server, it's your webapp, in particular code in:
>
> com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.CoreAction

Unless the external webserver to which this web application is trying to connect, is also
a Tomcat server, and the <Connector> shown was the one of that webserver (C in my previous
message).  This is what I was trying to confirm (or not), because Rohan's communications
so far were not very clear in that respect.

RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Rohan Kadam [mailto:rohanka@cybage.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

> I tried again. And still not successful, please find the stack trace below -

> INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused: connect
> Jul 13, 2011 12:10:36 PM org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
> INFO: Retrying request
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
>         at com.symantec.lua.util.rcl.HttpHelper.open(HttpHelper.java:209)
>         at com.symantec.lua.manager.config.ConfigManagerUtil.testServerConnection(ConfigManagerUtil.java:82)
>         at com.symantec.lua.manager.config.ConfigManagerUtil.testServerConnection(ConfigManagerUtil.java:30)
>         at com.symantec.lua.presentation.common.ServerStatusAction.doAction(ServerStatusAction.java:148)
>         at com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.ActionThread.run(ActionThread.java:76)
>         at com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.CoreAction.execute(CoreAction.java:184)

Note that this has _nothing_ to do with Tomcat.  Contrary to your subject line, it's not Tomcat that is unable to connect to some external server, it's your webapp, in particular code in:

com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.CoreAction

There's nothing Tomcat can do to overcome bugs in your code.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Rohan Kadam wrote:
> Hi André,
>
> Yes, whatever your understanding is correct. And also the connector tag is inside of Tomcat B.

Ok, then Charles' earlier message was correct, and the problem has nothing to do with
Tomcat per se.

Your web application A makes its own TCP connection to webserver C, using the Apache
httpclient.  It does not use any of the Tomcat network code for that.
(In particular, it does not use the Tomcat <Connector>).
It would be the same if your web application A was a stand-alone Java application, running
outside of Tomcat.

It is a mystery why, in your previous installation, changing the Tomcat <Connector>
settings was changing the behaviour, but it has nothing to do with the issue you are
dealing with now, as far as I can see.

What you should maybe try :
Outside of Tomcat, from a console on the same host as Tomcat B, try to run a console
application to connect to the URL on server C.
For example, use "wget" or "curl", with the same target URL as what you used with the
browser.  Maybe the Tomcat host simply cannot access server C ?

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Hi André,

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
I really apologize for the confusion created.

We are having an application, which is deployed on tomcat. Rather we are shipping the application with tomcat. After extraction (complete installation), the application is placed under the webapps directory.

The logs that I have shared is from the console, while debugging the application.

To summarize more, we were facing a similar kind of problem in an earlier version of tomcat when we upgraded it from 5.5.26 to 5.5.30 (We were able to access the link through browser, but not through application). To solve this issue, we modified the connector tag in the server.xml file.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Rohan,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
I apologize for the typo made by me. I used  only "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" in the java option pane. But it didn't work.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Chris,

This is the line I was talking about -

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

> I am not getting what I am supposed to do?

>> > After that Iwent to Java Tab, and added the below line in Java Option Section.
>> > Please let me know if I am missing something.

> The line.

Chris was asking you to specify the line you refer to as being 'below', above.  The thread had become lengthy by then and so you could be referring to anything.  Being specific helps us help you.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
We have created a service named say "ABCTomcat"

Then we navigated to bin directory of tomcat, typed the following command -

tomcat7w.exe //ES//ABCTomcat

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Hi,

I am using JAVA 1.6 update 23 version.

Thanks,
Rohan Kadam.

> We had recently upgraded tomcat from 5.5.30 to 7.0.14. We were earlier
> facing problem that tomcat was not able to connect using Static IP
> address. The fix that we found was adding address = "0.0.0.0" in the
> Connector tag of server.xml in the "conf" directory.
>

> After upgrading tomcat to  7.0.14, we have done the same process, but
> we are not able to connect.

Have you also upgraded Java?  What version (exactly) of Java are you using?

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Please find my connector tag below, I have modified it to listen 7070  -

               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" address="0.0.0.0" />

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Rohan Kadam <ro...@cybage.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.