Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk> on 2008/03/18 09:57:59 UTC

[users@httpd] domain redirect

I know the answer is probably easy, but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right
place.

I am in the process of moving some domains and adding a couple more on a
remote server. Currently I have
http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/
(And a couple of other directory based sub domains)
and I would like to map them to their own sites, in this case
http://medw.co.uk/
In the past I would just have redirected the page, but with a large volume of
search results in all the search engines that have been scanning me since
Christmas, I'd like to silently direct the
http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/.....
requests to so the http://medw.co.uk/ instead.

I'm sure it is possible without too much difficulty but what is the best way
of doing it? The home.lsces.co.uk and www.lsces.co.uk are currently on
different IP addresses but the new hosting is handling that side of things OK,
so the home.lsces.co.uk is easy the map, it's the
/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/ bit that is confusing me at present :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] domain redirect

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
Nils Jeppe wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it is possible without too much difficulty but what is the
>> best way of doing it? The home.lsces.co.uk and www.lsces.co.uk are
>> currently on different IP addresses but the new hosting is handling
>> that side of things OK, so the home.lsces.co.uk is easy the map, it's
>> the /ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/ bit that is confusing me at
>> present :(
>
> What's wrong with using RedirectPermanent
> /ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/ http://medw.co.uk/ in the virtualhost
> for home.lsces.co.uk ?

No :(

New domains -
home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/ -> http://medw.co.uk/
home.lsces.co.uk/CMS/ -> http://enquirysolve.com/

Existing domain then becomes
home.lsces.co.uk/lsces/ -> http://lsces.co.uk/

It was easy when everything was 'in-house' :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Posted by Nils Jeppe <ni...@pandemonium.de>.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Lester Caine wrote:

> I'm sure it is possible without too much difficulty but what is the best way
> of doing it? The home.lsces.co.uk and www.lsces.co.uk are currently on
> different IP addresses but the new hosting is handling that side of things
> OK, so the home.lsces.co.uk is easy the map, it's the
> /ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/ bit that is confusing me at present :(

What's wrong with using RedirectPermanent /ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/
http://medw.co.uk/ in the virtualhost for home.lsces.co.uk ?

Best wishes
Nils