Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rick Wong <rw...@opsware.com> on 2005/07/01 03:36:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Starting apache in non-daemon mode

Hi,

When I start apache 2.0 in Linux, it starts itself in daemon mode with
PPID=1, and having its own unix session ID and program group ID.

Is it possible to configure apache to run in a non-daemon mode, and not
to start a new unix session?

Rick

Re: [users@httpd] Starting apache in non-daemon mode

Posted by Rick Wong <rw...@opsware.com>.
doh!  thanks!

Posted by Rick Wong <rw...@opsware.com>.
Ah ha!

./httpd -DNO_DETACH -DFOREGROUND

Can't use -X because it implies -DONE_PROCESS which is bad for me.

Thanks for the lead!

--
Rick

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Rick Wong wrote:

> This helps very much.  That's exactly what I need.  By the way, the -X
> is not documented.  Where would I find a list of undocumented switches
> in case there are other options I need?

Well, uhm, ... http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/httpd.html

or `man 8 httpd` ;-)

nd
--
Wenn nur Ingenieure mit Diplom programmieren würden, hätten wir
wahrscheinlich weniger schlechte Software.

Re: [users@httpd] Starting apache in non-daemon mode

Posted by Rick Wong <rw...@opsware.com>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Rick Wong wrote:

> When I start apache 2.0 in Linux, it starts itself in daemon mode with
> PPID=1, and having its own unix session ID and program group ID.
>
> Is it possible to configure apache to run in a non-daemon mode, and not
> to start a new unix session?

There's the -X command line option, which turns on single process mode. I'm
not sure if that is what you want though ;)

nd
--
"Solides und umfangreiches Buch"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension