Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr> on 2016/02/22 18:00:11 UTC

Batch Processing Fault Tolerance (DataSet API)

Hi

In case of failure of a node what does it mean 'Fault tolerance for programs in the DataSet API works by retrying failed executions’ [1] ?
-work already done by the rest of the nodes is not lost, only work of the lost node is recomputed, job execution will continue
or
-entire job execution is retried

[1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/batch/fault_tolerance.html <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/batch/fault_tolerance.html>

Best,
Ovidiu

Re: Batch Processing Fault Tolerance (DataSet API)

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
At the moment, the system can only deal with lost slots (nodes) if either
there are some excess slots which have not been used before or if the died
node is restarted. The latter is the case for yarn applications, for
example. There the application master will restart containers which have
died.

In the future it is also conceivable to adjust the parallelism of the job
to the current number of available slots. However, this is not yet
implemented. For the streaming part, we're currently working in this
direction. It is subsumed by the topic of dynamic scaling in/out.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr>.
Thank you, Till!