Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/03 17:56:11 UTC

[discuss] graduation: what is the 'hand over'?

I am in the process of going through the graduation guide
(graduation.xml in the guides directory of the incubator website), and
I came across a TODO: section and didn't know what to do with it (no
pun intended).

What is the post-graduation 'Hand Over'?

To me the process for a TLP is in a simplified form:
 - create graduation proposal
 - vote on the proposal by the ppmc
 - vote on the proposal by the ipmc
 - vote on the proposal by the board

instant karma

 - move podling resources to TLP resources

done.

The graduation guide says that there are two things following the move
of the resources:
 * "The Hand Over"
 * solving "Remaining Obstacles"

Perhaps the IPMC can shed a light on this question?

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!

Re: [discuss] graduation: what is the 'hand over'?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On May 8, 2007, at 11:57 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> i've written this up into the graduation document. unless leo has any
> objections, i'll commit it.

You're kidding right? :-)

Thanks for doing the hard work Robert!

- Leo, who is reminded of the need to write up that proposal for RAT...

Re: [discuss] graduation: what is the 'hand over'?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On May 3, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

<snip>

> > What is the post-graduation 'Hand Over'?
>
> No idea. Heh. I think we don't really have one.
>
> The board@ tries to notify us almost immediately after they vote on
> any resolution; usually via an e-mail to board@ as well as the
> relevant private@ PMC list if that applies. I guess the Chairman is
> always supposed to do that, but he's a busy man, so others help out.
> Sometimes they all forget, and the way to work around that is to nag
> your favorite board member into sending an email after you don't hear
> anything (say, 72 hours) after the board meeting (I recommend people
> pick Henri for nagging, since he's often most responsive for these
> kinds of questions) so they remember.
>
> After such a board resolution, apache will have a new PMC with an
> associated new chair/VP, who can then act on their own behalf (like
> requesting infra resources). We assume (given that they're all
> graduated and stuff), they'll know what to do next.
>
> In practice it's not that great of an assumption. So a pattern that
> has worked pretty well in the past is that the most active/
> experienced/gullible mentor becomes the PMC chair initially, and then
> optionally that person can help "groom" someone else from within the
> community to take over after a few months.
>
> > To me the process for a TLP is in a simplified form:
> - make sure status files and the like are up-to-date and completed
> > - create graduation proposal
> > - vote on the proposal by the ppmc
> > - vote on the proposal by the ipmc
> > - vote on the proposal by the board
> >
> > instant karma
>
> Heh. The new PMC has the power to ask for karma, at least, but
> response times from infrastructure may vary :-). Follow procedures
>
>    http://www.apache.org/dev/
>
> for interacting with infrastructure@.
>
> > - move podling resources to TLP resources
>
> There's a checklist at
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Post-
> Graduation+Check+List
>
> That checklist is missing at least

>    * new chair gets self added to pmc chairs group in svnauth
>    * entire PMC reviews
>      (add salt since process docs are permanently out-of-date)
>      ** http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html
>      ** http://www.apache.org/dev/#pmc
>    * chair reviews
>      (add salt since process docs are permanently out-of-date)
>      ** http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/RoleOfChair
>      ** http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
>      ** http://incubator.apache.org/guides/chair.html
>         (no idea why the tidbits on that page live over there, most
> of it should be at www.a.o/dev/)
>      ** http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
>         (to figure out how to write reports for the board@)
>    * for the first 3 months after graduation, chair submits a
>      report to the board every month. After that, slot into the
>      quarterly reporting schedule. Work with board@.
>    * stick around the incubator and help future projects have
>      an easier time than you did

<snip>

i've written this up into the graduation document. unless leo has any
objections, i'll commit it.

- robert

Re: [discuss] graduation: what is the 'hand over'?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On May 3, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I am in the process of going through the graduation guide
> (graduation.xml in the guides directory of the incubator website),

wow, that's pretty detailed. It's also not linked from the main menu.

> [...]

     ** http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html
     ** http://www.apache.org/dev/#pmc
   * chair reviews
     (add salt since process docs are permanently out-of-date)
     ** http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/RoleOfChair
     ** http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
     ** http://incubator.apache.org/guides/chair.html
        (no idea why the tidbits on that page live over there, most
of it should be at www.a.o/dev/)
     ** http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
        (to figure out how to write reports for the board@)
   * for the first 3 months after graduation, chair submits a
     report to the board every month. After that, slot into the
     quarterly reporting schedule. Work with board@.
   * stick around the incubator and help future projects have
     an easier time than you did

> The graduation guide says that there are two things following the move

I guess I sort-of gave an answer, above.

> * solving "Remaining Obstacles"

No idea what those would be. "It depends".

> Perhaps the IPMC can shed a light on this question?

In general, the amount of documentation for "how to be a PMC" is a
lot less than we have for "how to incubate". PMCs are supposed to be
"self-managing", which means each PMC figures out what their
obstacles are all by themselves.

Usually by the time a project graduates it knows what to expect in
terms of handholding (i.e.: not much) or extensive and correct policy
documentation (i.e.: not much). So obstacles can include things such
as "we need a unix group on people.a.o to own our releases" or "we
need a solaris zone on the zone server to host a demo version of our
software" or "I need to figure out how to make Marvin (a mailbot)
send me those you-need-to-send-your-board-report reminders".

cheers,

- Leo the process weenie