Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2017/08/01 14:34:20 UTC

Remove as much as possible delete and remove services

Hi,

After a 1st discussion with Deepak at OFBIZ-9185, we had another at OFBIZ-9543.

We claim that we should not remove entities records because of auditing. But we have at 157 services with names starting with "remove" and 538
starting with "delete"

I suggest that we remove as much as possible of these services and have only expire services for those which support expire (ie have from and thru dates).

For instance I was curious about deleteParty, but what it currently does is only returning the "partyservices.cannot_delete_party_not_implemented"
label. This is pre Apache era (ie there for 10+ years)!

In OFBIZ-9543 Deepak rightly suggested that we keep delete services for Assoc kind of entities. But definitely remove delete service for entity like
Party, WorkEffort, Product, etc those have n number of foreign key constraints...

What do you think, other ideas?

Jacques

Re: Remove as much as possible delete and remove services

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Inline...

Le 03/08/2017 à 18:47, Nicolas Malin a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm in favor to have a generic crud soa api as possible coherent with the following model :
>
> * createEntity -> create the new entity
> * updateEntity -> update all field
> * deleteEntity -> remove entity
> * expireEntity -> functionnal remove by thruDate expiration (or other field related)
>
> But I'm not in favor to remove "delete service" by default but more replace it on OFBiz applications by expire.
Yes that's what I meant also.

> If all is clear we can keep delete and expire and when you create you own specificcod it's your responsability to call expire or delete. I prefer
> that developer call deleteEntity instead of call GV.remove() directly, but between delete and expire, a developer will thinks what call would be
> needed in his case.
I mostly agree, but I also believe that there are a number of them that should be removed.
I will begin by remove deleteWorkEffort (OFBIZ-9185), removeUserLoginToSecurityGroup and deleteParty (OFBIZ-9543).
Then I will create a Jira to collect all the ideas we got so far in this thread.

Thanks to All!

Jacques

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

We can keep delete/remove service for other entity as well (aprt from
Assoc), but I think there is no use of these kind of delete service due to
foreign key constraints .
I am fine with your proposal as well.

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Hello,

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
On 2 August 2017 at 15:49, Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>
wrote:

> In case of calling update service we have to pass thruDate as mandatory
> parameter, We have expire as entityAuto service that care of setting up the
> thruDate if not passed. So instead of doing it controller level its good
> idea to have expire service.

Thanks Deepak, I agree., the expire services will only need a primary key
and an optional thru date and will do the rest internally. Update services
can be more complicated.

Cheers

Paul

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: Remove as much as possible delete and remove services

Posted by Arun Patidar <ar...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hello Deepak,

Yes, If we use entity-auto then all looks good and makes sense to me.

--
Thanks & Regards
---

HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.www.hotwaxsystems.com

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Arun Patidar <ar...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Paul,

The main idea is to avoid confusion, some delete/remove services use expire
pattern and some is used  to delete record. So its not consistent.

We can convert all the remove service (where possible) to expire as you
suggest.

Also we can add fromDate and thruDate where necessary at entity level like
Suraj initiated thread
Proper record maintenance in marketing component
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b80e835df82044394f5076e98fd3463d7b086d6d611618943536c9bd@%3Cdev.ofbiz.apache.org%3E>
Another ticket related to this

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi all,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rishi , all

I guess Deepak makes sense so let's defer what I said for now and focus on
the renaming effort. I'll start another thread at a future point in time

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Taher,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

I will start a new thread later on to keep this one focused like others
suggested. I should take my time and really develop the idea and then share
it on the ML.

Cheers,

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Before a conversion from delete/remove services to expire services takes
place, the associated entities need to be checked to correct those that
don't have from and thru fields.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - the unendorsed OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Swapnil Mane <sw...@hotwaxsystems.com>.