Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mipam <mi...@ibb.net> on 2003/08/20 15:55:50 UTC

high memory usage ....

Hi,

I believe many other of you have encountered the high memory usage with
tomcat? Is there a way to decrease the amount the java processes use?
Furthermore, all the java processes are started under user root.
Is there a way to start the java processes under another user?
Any particular version of java and/or tomcat adviced to deal with these
problems?
I guess auditing the java applications which are written is also very nice
to do and fixup some memory leaks if they're there?
Bye,

Mipam.

Re: high memory usage ....

Posted by Yann C�bron <ya...@yahoo.de>.
> I believe many other of you have encountered the high memory usage with
> tomcat? Is there a way to decrease the amount the java processes use?

yes, take a close look at the Tomcat configuration reference (Connectors)

> Furthermore, all the java processes are started under user root.
> Is there a way to start the java processes under another user?

This has been discussed approx. 2874438 times on this list ;-)

> Any particular version of java and/or tomcat adviced to deal with these
> problems?

In general, memory comsumption is likely to decrease with newer JDKs. I also
noted a noticeably startup speed improvement using 1.4.2 - but YMMV
depending on deployment needs/restrictions. It might also be worth trying
JDKs from different vendors.

Regarding TC versions: always try to stay as up to date as possible - there
are lot of continuos improvements regarding speed, stability, memory
consumption and of cause fixed bugs. Additionally, TC5 has seen a lot of
improvements regarding its "inner workings" resulting in better overall
speed and less memory consumption.

> I guess auditing the java applications which are written is also very nice
> to do and fixup some memory leaks if they're there?

There a lot of different tools (commercial and OSS) available, just do a
search on google.

    Yann

Re: high memory usage ....

Posted by rufio <ru...@op.pl>.
on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:55:50 +0200 (MET DST) Mipam <mi...@ibb.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
> [..]
> Furthermore, all the java processes are started under user root.

Actually it's not up to java or tomcat.

> Is there a way to start the java processes under another user?

su user -c path_to_executable
or login as user and then run the code.
Also it's possible but unprobable that your java is suided (no way!)

> Any particular version of java and/or tomcat adviced to deal with
> these problems?

No, you rather should experiment with options liek (sun java) -Xm*
and/or gc options

> I guess auditing the java applications which are written is also very
> nice to do and fixup some memory leaks if they're there?

IMO it's hard to make a real memory leak in java.

Regards, Rufio

Re: high memory usage ....

Posted by rufio <ru...@op.pl>.

Re: high memory usage ....