Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/07/06 00:43:47 UTC

Unable to bootstrap Heron

Heron is currently marked as danger on the podling list.  I tracked it down
to them not being in ldap.  I attempted to start setting up the podling,
but it failed with a 500 error.

Any ideas why?

John

Re: Unable to bootstrap Heron

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:08 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:05 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:43 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Heron is currently marked as danger on the podling list.  I tracked it
>> down
>> > to them not being in ldap.  I attempted to start setting up the podling,
>> > but it failed with a 500 error.
>> >
>> > Any ideas why?
>>
>> I looked at the stack traceback, and it was a NPE due to the project
>> not being found.
>>
>> I've just pushed a change that will disable modification of new
>> projects until they are set up in LDAP.
>>
>> Only the infrastructure and secretarial teams can create new projects.
>> I've just done this for this project.
>
> So is there a step required after a podling is created now?

One more step at podling creation, one less step at graduation.

Hopefully over time we can develop a full picture of the lifecycle of
a project, and automate the steps.

In this case, it looks like Julien Le Dem added Heron to podlings.xml.
I created cn=heron,ou=project,ou=groups,dc=apache,dc=org in LDAP based
on the information contained in that file.   There are other actions
(like setting up mailing list, JIRA, repositories).

Ideally, creating a new podling would be a matter of filling out a
single form.  When possible, the action will be done immediately.
Some parts may be done by cronjobs (like mailing list requests are
done today).  Remaining parts that require actual human interaction
would be forwarded to the appropriate personnel with all of the
relevant information necessary to complete the task included.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Unable to bootstrap Heron

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:43 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Heron is currently marked as danger on the podling list.  I tracked it down
> to them not being in ldap.  I attempted to start setting up the podling,
> but it failed with a 500 error.
>
> Any ideas why?

I looked at the stack traceback, and it was a NPE due to the project
not being found.

I've just pushed a change that will disable modification of new
projects until they are set up in LDAP.

Only the infrastructure and secretarial teams can create new projects.
I've just done this for this project.

> John

- Sam Ruby