Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christopher Malton <cj...@cjmweb.fsnet.co.uk> on 2005/08/22 12:25:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache and PHP cause Internal Server Errors

Our organization's server, which is a Win32 box, has recently been
causing Internal Server Errors and then, if left unattended,as it was
over a weekend, it will crash completely.  The problem, we think, is
memory related.  We only run PHP as a CGI and frequently execute MySQL
queries.  One of our members has a Linux server, running the same
version, and experiences no problems at all.  The specifics are as follows:

Gateway Tower PC, Pentium 2 processor.
128MB RAM (We think.  We know it's either 64 or 128)
Win 98 SE
PHPTriad installer installed:
    Apache 1.3.3
    PHP 4.1.0
    MySQL 3.??

That is our setup.  We have a forum which is in regular use by our
members, at least 2 or 3 members a day, running about 10-20 requests
every time they visit, and visiting about 3-4 times a day.  That means
about 240 requests maximum.  PHP handles image uploads and .php files.
Nothing else is processed.  The forum was self-written.

If anybody knows, please help us out.

Chris

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and PHP cause Internal Server Errors

Posted by Tom Cat <st...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/05, Christopher Malton <cj...@cjmweb.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
  The specifics are as follows:

> Gateway Tower PC, Pentium 2 processor.
> 128MB RAM (We think.  We know it's either 64 or 128)

How can you not know what is in your  box?

> Win 98 SE

Win 98SE was great, but now it is time to move on.  Not even MS will
support it now.  I highly recommend one of the major Linux distros or
FreeBSD.  They'll run fine on that old hardware of yours.  If you go
with a MS OS, then you'll need to upgrade your hardware too.

> PHPTriad installer installed:
>     Apache 1.3.3
>     PHP 4.1.0
>     MySQL 3.??

This setup is starting to become dated as well.  When you upgrade the
OS, go ahead and move to Apache2.x, PHP 5.x, and MySQL 4.x

> The forum was self-written.

Are you sure there isn't a bug in the forum?  There are plenty of
Forum packages out there, you might want to look into using one of
them.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and PHP cause Internal Server Errors

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
Christopher Malton wrote:
> Gateway Tower PC, Pentium 2 processor.
> 128MB RAM (We think.  We know it's either 64 or 128)
> Win 98 SE
> PHPTriad installer installed:
>    Apache 1.3.3
>    PHP 4.1.0
>    MySQL 3.??

I'd suggest to upgrade the machine and the software. Since someone
already has an equivalent running on Linux I'd suggest to switch
to Linux altogheter.

Davide

--
Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.
-- Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx)