Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org> on 2023/03/16 21:10:56 UTC

shards.tolerant and transient failures

When a replica returns an error, like a 503, does shards.tolerant=true give partial results?

The ref guide says it does that when the shard is “unavailable”, but that sounds like a down state rather than a temporary issue.

“In the event that one or more shards queried are unavailable,…”
https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_11/solrcloud-query-routing-and-read-tolerance.html#shards-tolerant-parameter

I looked at the original Jira for that, but it is for 4.0 and things have changed just a little bit (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3134).

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Re: shards.tolerant and transient failures

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
Hello Walter.
I think you are right. Hitting exception in one of she shards
https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/QueryComponent.java#L947
triggers partial results flag
https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/QueryComponent.java#L1092

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 12:12 AM Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>
wrote:

> When a replica returns an error, like a 503, does shards.tolerant=true
> give partial results?
>
> The ref guide says it does that when the shard is “unavailable”, but that
> sounds like a down state rather than a temporary issue.
>
> “In the event that one or more shards queried are unavailable,…”
>
> https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_11/solrcloud-query-routing-and-read-tolerance.html#shards-tolerant-parameter
>
> I looked at the original Jira for that, but it is for 4.0 and things have
> changed just a little bit (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3134
> ).
>
> wunder
> Walter Underwood