Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dan Cardamore <da...@hld.ca> on 2002/12/21 15:10:13 UTC

Release Management

Hi,

I recently finished writing a significant amount of code that gets
called by CVS's commitinfo and taginfo.  I needed to make CVS dissallow
commits on certain branches, and disallow moving or deleting tags unless
you are a release engineer.

Does subversion provide any mechanisms to provide permissions on a
branch level rather than just on the entire files?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Release Management

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Dan Cardamore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently finished writing a significant amount of code that gets
> called by CVS's commitinfo and taginfo.  I needed to make CVS dissallow
> commits on certain branches, and disallow moving or deleting tags unless
> you are a release engineer.
>
> Does subversion provide any mechanisms to provide permissions on a
> branch level rather than just on the entire files?

Dan,

You can use the tools/hook-scripts/commit-access-control.pl script
as a pre-commit hook to do these kinds of things.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Re: Release Management

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 10:10, Dan Cardamore wrote:
> Does subversion provide any mechanisms to provide permissions on a
> branch level rather than just on the entire files?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Subversion doesn't have branches; it has fast (O(1))
directory copies within the repository.  So access control on pathnames
is sufficient to provide access control on branches.  Right now,
Subversion doesn't have a full ACL system (that's a post-1.0 item), but
hook scripts or Apache access controls can take care of most needs.

See the handbook for more details, of course.