Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> on 2012/11/28 03:58:38 UTC

Brief Interview questions….

Olav,
Apologies for top post.

When I was the community manager for OpenOffice.org, in the first years I would conduct interviews of contributors—developers, localizers, et al. What counted was meaningful contribution to the project.

One reason was to broadcast the work done and the people doing it. The idea is that such recognition—not celebration—would give others insight into what is wanted, what is required, what can be done—and whom to contact.

Another idea was that this would become "news," and be taken up by other services. This was before Facebook—aye, a long time ago—and before Twitter and when "social media" meant meeting the news press in a café or bar. :-)

But I want to promote OpenOffice work and use in Norway and everywhere else; and I want, also to promote the development of the ecosystem.

If you—and others are welcome to answer, too—I'd just post the answers to my blog. It's not by any means an official Apache blog and I have at the moment no intention of making it so. But it does get read by those interested in OpenOffice. You'd also be free to post whatever answers you give to your sites.

Here are some questions:

* What are you and your colleagues doing on Apache OpenOffice?

* What skills or resources do you need? Or want?

* How can others join in—help?

* Do you know who is using OpenOffice in your region? Norway is one of the more popular downloads, you know, and it was at one point in the last few years quite popular in public sector areas, like education (Skolinux, for instance).

* Do you know of companies or people supporting Apache OpenOffice on a commercial (not volunteer) basis? Is that wanted? I ask because I tend to believe that public sector organizations want commercially contracted support for free and open software, as this assuages bureaucratic concerns about liability.

* What events or conferences would be relevant to participate in to gain more developer interest, more users?

* And where would you suggest we go to attract more contributors?

Thanks
louis

PS my relevant blog for this: http://ooo-speak.blogspot.com/

but it could also be posted elsewhere

Re: Brief Interview questions….

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olav, et al.

Thanks!

Others, feel free to use the questions I offered below and to which Olav gave some answers as a starting point. As I mentioned, I'll just use the interchange, which is very brief, for my ooo-speak blog (http://ooo-speak.blogspot.com/). It's not an official Apache blog and it is not, I need to underscore, an official Apache OpenOffice blog; it's mine. Much of it touches now on AOO and Foss, but not all.

My interest is to promote the development, use, distribution (and everything in-between) of OpenOffice and also open standards.

Olav, I'll mostly cut-and paste and send you the version I'll be posting to the above blog; same with others if others respond.

Again: this is for all who contribute to OO—or even just want to. Goal: to get more to contribute, to use, distribute, "do" with OO.

-louis

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olav, et al.

Posted by Olav Dahlum <od...@gmail.com>.