Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/28 00:34:32 UTC

2.0 release triage

One of the things that I find difficult right now is knowing what needs the
most attention for the purpose of releasing 2.0. There are actually very
few issues in JIRA that are assigned to 2.0 or 2.0-rc2. There are a
daunting number of issues that are not assigned a fix version.

>From what I can see, much of the discussion on this mailing list is for
issues that are not assigned a fix version. I'm guessing that many of the
messages I am seeing could be delayed until after 2.0. How much of our
attention is being spent on addressing issues that aren't contributing to
releasing 2.0?

I am willing to help. One of my roles is a JIRA admin in my day job. If I
were given edit permission, I could take a stab at assigning unscheduled
issues to a proper release. If you gave me the appropriate project admin
permission, I could even create new versions (e.g. 2.1, ...). I could
always comment my reasoning if I pushed something off to 2.1.

What is the distinction between 2.0 and 2.0-rc2? Should 2.0 be the bucket
for everything that needs to be fixed before GA and we pull those issues
into -rcX as we have time?

I just would like the project to keep focused on release 2.0 and not being
distracted by stuff that should really wait for 2.1.

Is there any interest in having me (or someone else) do this?

--

Bruce Brouwer

Re: 2.0 release triage

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
OK.  I am going through the issues and assigning those I intend to look at to me.  That doesn’t mean they are actively being worked on so if someone else wants to take ownership that is fine.   Marking the issue as “In Progress” makes sense once I actually start working on something.

Ralph

Re: 2.0 release triage

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: 2.0 release triage

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: 2.0 release triage

Posted by Bruce Brouwer <br...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> attention is being spent on addressing issues that aren't contributing to
> releasing 2.0?
> >
> > I am willing to help. One of my roles is a JIRA admin in my day job. If
> I were given edit permission, I could take a stab at assigning unscheduled
> issues to a proper release. If you gave me the appropriate project admin
> permission, I could even create new versions (e.g. 2.1, ...). I could
> always comment my reasoning if I pushed something off to 2.1.
> >
> > What is the distinction between 2.0 and 2.0-rc2? Should 2.0 be the
> bucket for everything that needs to be fixed before GA and we pull those
> issues into -rcX as we have time?
> >
> > I just would like the project to keep focused on release 2.0 and not
> being distracted by stuff that should really wait for 2.1.
> >
> > Is there any interest in having me (or someone else) do this?

Bruce Brouwer

Re: 2.0 release triage

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.