Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Graham Butler <g....@hud.ac.uk> on 2012/10/01 14:58:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Moving Apache from Solaris to Linux

We are currently looking at replacing our Solaris boxes with a flavour of Linux to run Apache with a focus on Red Hat and Ubuntu. I am trying to collect some evidence to which OS is being used to run Apache and why, before we make a decision. Could you please respond by sending me, or the list, information on which OS you are using to run Apache and any information on why your decided to run it on that particular platform.

I am also asking other list for similar information on Squid, BIND, Exim, etc.......

Many thanks for any information you may send me.

Graham Butler
Infrastructure Team.
Email:g.butler@hud.ac.uk
Tel: 01484 473785
The University of Huddersfield
Computing and Library Services
PO Box No. 341
Huddersfield
HD1 3DH

________________________________

---

Re: [users@httpd] Moving Apache from Solaris to Linux

Posted by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Graham Butler <g....@hud.ac.uk> wrote:
> We are currently looking at replacing our Solaris boxes with a flavour of
> Linux to run Apache with a focus on Red Hat and Ubuntu. I am trying to
> collect some evidence to which OS is being used to run Apache and why,
> before we make a decision. Could you please respond by sending me, or the
> list, information on which OS you are using to run Apache and any
> information on why your decided to run it on that particular platform.

      Either one should work. Main differences IMHO:

o Centos/Redhat come with selinux up and running while you install it
as a package in ubuntu/debian. Apparmor is a bit weird...

o Upgrading to a new release in a debian-derivative is quite easy. In
a redhat one you are reinstalling from scratch.

o Since ubuntu releases its OS twice a year, software package releases
might not trickle down to the current LTS (long term support) one.
That is not much of an issue on a desktop or if you tend to run your
servers in the latest and greatest release. redhat/centos releases
change every few years... just like debian.

o Ubuntu likes to have separate config files for packages that are
called by the original config files. The reasoning is so it is much
harder for an upgrade to overwrite your config. At times this is
really annoying, but at others is a really clever idea that allows for
elegant layout. FYI, I made my nagios config files in centos follow
the ubuntu style.

o Online support for ubuntu is quite good. People in ubuntuforums do
act like they really want to help.

o AFAIK, apache runs fine on either. I mean, I am running on both.
Once you know where the files want to be and how to download packages,
it is business as usual.

> I am also asking other list for similar information on Squid, BIND, Exim,
> etc…….

      FYI, I used to run all that in Solaris. I actually began using
Solaris before I ever touched Linux. Then Oracle bought Sun...

[users@httpd] RE: Moving Apache from Solaris to Linux

Posted by Graham Butler <g....@hud.ac.uk>.
I would like to thank all the people who replied to me regarding the question above. As with many people who run Solaris, we are moving to an alternative OS as a result of the change of ownership of Solaris from Sun to Oracle. Over the past 6 months we have investigated installing application from source and packages on all the major Linux distributions. During this process we got a feel of each of the OS. My next step was to provide some evidence to management on what the general community was using and why. I now have sufficient testimonials to proceed from this stage.

I am pleased to say that nearly all the replies I received supported my own conclusions. First is that Apache will run stably on all the popular flavours of Linux with very little performance difference.  The second, which was in nearly all the replies, is that the choice of OS was down to the administrators experience, skills and preferences.

For completes I have include the number of users using each OS, if it was stated in the reply. Because the sample is so small it may not be an accurately representation. It includes replies from the BIND, Exim, Apache and Squid mail list for the same question.

                Centos                  5

                Redhat                 5

                Ubuntu                                4

                Debian                  3

                OpenSuse           3

                Gentoo                                2

                Fedro                    1

And finally a summary of the points raised when choosing  which Linux flavour to run Apache.

                Administrators experience and skills

                Administrators preferences.

                Administration time.

                Availability of replacement staff with experience of OS and training requirements.

                Compilation or packages installs.

                Availability  of suitable packages (if not using source).

                Ease of compilation from source (if not using packages)

                update cycle (Cutting edge or stable).

                Online support or commercial support (Budget).

Once again, many thanks for all the people who replied.

Regards,

Graham Butler

Infrastructure Team.