Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by eric b <er...@free.fr> on 2011/06/08 10:43:44 UTC

Re : Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?

Hello,

My name is Eric Bachard. In the real life, I'm Professor of Applied
Physics at UTBM (see [1]).

In my spare time, I'm contributing to free software, as core
developer. Contributing to OpenOffice.org since 2004, my skills are  C
++ / C, objective C, shell and Perl. I know well OpenOffice.org
source tree, build system, code too, and can work for all major ports
(Windows, Mac OS X , Linux), including on some precise parts like the
framework, the abstraction layer, Impress too.

Used to mentor students with EducOOo (more than 15), and with Google
Summer of Code (mentored 4 students, in 2006, 2007 and 2010 for it),
I am willing to contribute to the code and train students to OOo.

My vision is to see the OpenOffice.org accepted, Education Project
become sort of a "Laboratory" dedicated to OpenOffice.org, and see a
day there is a real bridge between OpenOffice.org and the Educational
world. Mostly :

- sharing the knowledge, honestly ;
- working with students, teachers and schools : hear them, and catch
the Fun they can bring us ;
- attracting new developers : critical for OOo ;
- innovating : always ready to test a new idea in the code :-).

Some of my roles and contributions :

-  Founding member of EducOOo [4]
-  OOo4Kids and OOoLight main developer  [5] [6]
-  Education Project since 2007 (current Project Lead)  [3]
-  Mac OS X native port of OpenOffice.org : was the Project Lead
(2005 -2007)

Last but not least, I'm not a native speaker, so please, be gentle,
and apologies for my terrible english :)

With best regards,
Eric Bachard

[1] UTBM :  http://www.utbm.fr
[2] OpenOffice.org Domain developers : http://
wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DomainDeveloper
[3] OpenOffice.org Education Project : http://education.openoffice.org
[4] EducOOo : http://www.educoo.org
[5] OOo4Kids : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org
[6] OOoLight : http://wiki.ooolight.org

Le 7 juin 11 à 19:12, robert_weir@us.ibm.com a écrit :

> By my count we have now have over 60 individuals listed on as proposed
> committers for the Apache OpenOffice project.   I think this is a
> respectable start, though obviously the project will need to have a
> strong
> commitment to recruiting additional developers and growing the project
> further,
>
> On the list are many names on the list familiar to me, some from the
> OpenOffice.org community,  some ODF experts, some involved in
> training and
> certification, some in globalization,  some from downstream projects,
> commercial and open source, Symphony, RedOffice, EducOOo, even some
> TDF/LO
> names.
>
> There are also a lot of names that I do not recognize.  This is
> good as
> well.  I may have need of some new friends soon ;-)
>
> I think it would be good if the proposed committers who have not
> yet done
> so, could post a quick note to the list, to introduce yourself and
> your
> interest in this project.   Think of this as an opportunity to
> introduce
> yourself to your future collaborators on Apache OpenOffice.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

qɔᴉɹə
Education Project:
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: Re : Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?

Posted by "Marcelo H.Fortino" <mf...@estrategiasgnulinux.com>.
El 08/06/11 10:43, eric b escribió:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Eric Bachard. In the real life, I'm Professor of Applied
> Physics at UTBM (see [1]).
>
> In my spare time, I'm contributing to free software, as core
> developer. Contributing to OpenOffice.org since 2004, my skills are
> C++ / C, objective C, shell and Perl. I know well OpenOffice.org
> source tree, build system, code too, and can work for all major ports
> (Windows, Mac OS X , Linux), including on some precise parts like the
> framework, the abstraction layer, Impress too.
>
> Used to mentor students with EducOOo (more than 15), and with Google
> Summer of Code (mentored 4 students, in 2006, 2007 and 2010 for it), I
> am willing to contribute to the code and train students to OOo.
>
> My vision is to see the OpenOffice.org accepted, Education Project
> become sort of a "Laboratory" dedicated to OpenOffice.org, and see a
> day there is a real bridge between OpenOffice.org and the Educational
> world. Mostly :
>
> - sharing the knowledge, honestly ;
> - working with students, teachers and schools : hear them, and catch
> the Fun they can bring us ;
> - attracting new developers : critical for OOo ;
> - innovating : always ready to test a new idea in the code :-).
+1

> Some of my roles and contributions :
>
> -  Founding member of EducOOo [4]
> -  OOo4Kids and OOoLight main developer  [5] [6]
> -  Education Project since 2007 (current Project Lead)  [3]
> -  Mac OS X native port of OpenOffice.org : was the Project Lead (2005
> -2007)
>
> Last but not least, I'm not a native speaker, so please, be gentle,
> and apologies for my terrible english :)
>

> With best regards,
> Eric Bachard
>

> [1] UTBM :  http://www.utbm.fr
> [2] OpenOffice.org Domain developers :
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DomainDeveloper
> [3] OpenOffice.org Education Project : http://education.openoffice.org
> [4] EducOOo : http://www.educoo.org
> [5] OOo4Kids : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org
> [6] OOoLight : http://wiki.ooolight.org
>

> Le 7 juin 11 à 19:12, robert_weir@us.ibm.com a écrit :
>
>> By my count we have now have over 60 individuals listed on as proposed
>> committers for the Apache OpenOffice project.   I think this is a
>> respectable start, though obviously the project will need to have a
>> strong
>> commitment to recruiting additional developers and growing the project
>> further,
>>
>> On the list are many names on the list familiar to me, some from the
>> OpenOffice.org community,  some ODF experts, some involved in
>> training and
>> certification, some in globalization,  some from downstream projects,
>> commercial and open source, Symphony, RedOffice, EducOOo, even some
>> TDF/LO
>> names.
>>
>> There are also a lot of names that I do not recognize.  This is good as
>> well.  I may have need of some new friends soon ;-)
>>
>> I think it would be good if the proposed committers who have not yet
>> done
>> so, could post a quick note to the list, to introduce yourself and your
>> interest in this project.   Think of this as an opportunity to introduce
>> yourself to your future collaborators on Apache OpenOffice.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob

-
// Marcelo Fortino
www.estrategiasgnulinux.com
//Servicios Informáticos
//Formación·Software Libre

AVISO: Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y/o datos de carácter personal, cuya difusión está regulada por la Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos y la Ley de Servicios de la Sociedad de la Información.
De conformidad con la Ley 15/1999, de 13 de Diciembre de Protección de Datos, les informamos  que sus datos personales, forman parte de nuestra base de datos, utilizándolos a efectos de gestión operativa. Pueden ejercer sus derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición, enviando un e-mail a servicios@estrategiasgnulinux.com.

RE: Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I am pleased that we have been asked to introduce ourselves.  I am excited by what I have been reading this morning.

I consider myself to be handicapped as an American native-language English speaker.  It is very easy to say something in a very complex way and not notice.

With so many participants from other language communities here, I want to communicate well.  So your presence is an opportunity for my own training in having an international life.

And, by the way.  If you had not said you are not a native speaker, I could not determine that from your introduction statement.  If I were to attempt to speak or write French, I think it would be a great embarrassment.

I share your interest in education.  For me it takes the form of ideas from CP4E (computer programming for everybody) and SE4E (software engineering ...).   But also fluency with computing and information technology.  I don't subscribe so much to the idea of "computational thinking" though.

 - Dennis