Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Greg Cope <gr...@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk> on 2001/02/01 01:47:20 UTC

Re: Translation handler continuous loop problem

"Sinclair, Alan (CORP, GEAccess)" wrote:

> I am hoping someone might have a clue on how to resolve this awkward
> problem.
>
> I have just installed a mod_perl URI translation handler to extract a
> session id from the URI. In general the translation works correctly by
> removing the session id from the URL when detected. However, a Netscape
> browser client triggers Apache to enter a continuous loop if I do not
> specify the domain name in the hostname component of the URL. The problem
> does not occur in Internet Explorer (that surprised me.)
>
> All these examples are from Nestcape on both NT and Unix.
> For example, say I enter http://lions.access.com/sp9/outage.html  The
> translation handler works correctly.
> If I then enter: http://lions/sp9/outage.html  There is a continuous loop in
> Apache and on each iteration, an entry is written to access_log. I have to
> stop the request in Netscape.
>
> The bizarre thing is I can enter any other URL such as
> http://lions/internal/whatever and there is no problem. The mod_perl
> translation header goal is stripping session id info from the URL in the
> form http://hostname/SESSION_ID/sp9/whatever It looks for sp9 in the path. I
> have attempted to debug by trying to send error messages to the error log
> without success.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can determine why the translation
> handler is entering into a continuous loop when a request is sent from
> Netscape?
>
> I would be appreciative of any help!!

I could be completely wrong but ...

I can't see a problem here - although I would need to see the code.

There could be an issue with how IE and Netscape actually format the
header (i.e you may enter the above, but the header that gets sent may
be different) - but I could be completely wrong on this !

You may wish to look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sessionmanager/

Which is URI transhandler / session manager that I wrote for a project
that never came about.  I may make another release that uses PerlSetVars
to configure the module if I get a chance to test it.

If this does not help, then post either the code, or a URL to the code
if its long, so that some of us can have a look.

Greg