Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net> on 2002/09/28 07:19:56 UTC

One Repository or Multiple?

The docs describe the SVNParentPath.  IE:

Alternately, you can use the SVNParentPath directive to indicate a "parent"
directory whose immediate subdirectories are are assumed to be independent
repositories:

Is there any benefits (besides the obvious that if one gets corrupted, the
other ones won't) to having multiple repositories vs one single monolithic
one?  IE speed benefits for large repositories? etc..

--
Jeff Stuart
jstuart@computer-city.net

Re: One Repository or Multiple?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:11:32AM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Passing all that stuff on the command line doesn't scale very well, so I'm
> > hoping to improve the situation with my mailer.py script (and remove some of
> > the inefficiencies of commit-email.pl).
>
> How is mailer.py going to perform the same partitioning of a repos into
> multiple mailing lists?
>
> As long as mailer.py can do what commit-email.pl does, I'll be happy.

Yes, that is the idea. It definitely has to match commit-email's
functionality.

mailer.py has an accompanying .conf file which can shift stuff from the
command line into a .conf file:

[svn]
pattern = ^/trunk/
mail_to = svn@subversion.tigris.org
host_from = tigris.org
reply_to = dev@subversion.tigris.org

[gsvn]
pattern = ^/clients/gsvn/
mail_to = ...

However, for a site such as tigris.org, we can improve things:

[projects]
pattern = ^/([^/]+)/
mail_to = svn@\1.tigris.org
host_from = tigris.org

On my own SVN repository, the http users don't have a single host for their
"from" email addresses, so I plan to add a section like this:

[authors]
gstein = gstein@lyra.org
hunkim = hunkims@hotmail.com

etc etc.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: One Repository or Multiple?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:56:15PM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
> > Ben Gollmer wrote:
> > > If you set up per-project mailing lists like I did, it's easy to use the
> > > provided post-commit scripts to send mail on each commit if you have seperate
> > > repos's for each project.
> > >
> > > If you've got multiple projects within one repository and want each one to
> > > have it's own mailing list, be prepared for some script hacking.
> >
> > Not true.  The supplied commit-email.pl script takes an optional regular
> > expression command line argument which specifies which commits go to
> > which email addresses.
> >
> > For example, in my repos, I have this in the post commit script:
> >
> > # Send an email out showing the differences in this commit.
> > "$REPOS/hooks/commit-email.pl" "$REPOS" "$REV"                          \
> >   -m '^(branches|tags|trunk)/orca' orca-checkins@orcaware.com           \
> >   -m '.*' blair@orcaware.com &
> >
> > See the commit-email.pl usage info for more info.
>
> Passing all that stuff on the command line doesn't scale very well, so I'm
> hoping to improve the situation with my mailer.py script (and remove some of
> the inefficiencies of commit-email.pl).

How is mailer.py going to perform the same partitioning of a repos into
multiple mailing lists?

As long as mailer.py can do what commit-email.pl does, I'll be happy.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: One Repository or Multiple?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:56:15PM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Ben Gollmer wrote:
> > If you set up per-project mailing lists like I did, it's easy to use the
> > provided post-commit scripts to send mail on each commit if you have seperate
> > repos's for each project.
> >
> > If you've got multiple projects within one repository and want each one to
> > have it's own mailing list, be prepared for some script hacking.
>
> Not true.  The supplied commit-email.pl script takes an optional regular
> expression command line argument which specifies which commits go to
> which email addresses.
>
> For example, in my repos, I have this in the post commit script:
>
> # Send an email out showing the differences in this commit.
> "$REPOS/hooks/commit-email.pl" "$REPOS" "$REV"                          \
>   -m '^(branches|tags|trunk)/orca' orca-checkins@orcaware.com           \
>   -m '.*' blair@orcaware.com &
>
> See the commit-email.pl usage info for more info.

Passing all that stuff on the command line doesn't scale very well, so I'm
hoping to improve the situation with my mailer.py script (and remove some of
the inefficiencies of commit-email.pl).

Regarding the original question about multiple vs single repository:
originally, I was gung-ho on the multiple style, primarily for security
and data partitioning purposes. However, lately I realized that for (open
source setups), that there isn't much reason for strict data security. Since
everybody can read everything anyways...

So for some of the reasons that Greg Hudson provided (enable copy/move
between areas in the repos), I've lately tended towards single-repository
setups.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: One Repository or Multiple?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.
Thanks Ben and Greg!  I went and made a repository for each domain (which for
me is a seperate project. :)).  I'm hoping to eventually work in some kind of
CMS system with my staging servers, subversion, and some other admin pages
for people.  (But that's a LONG term goal. :))

Posted by Ben Gollmer <be...@jatosoft.com>.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 03:19, Jeff Stuart wrote:
> Is there any benefits (besides the obvious that if one gets corrupted, the
> other ones won't) to having multiple repositories vs one single monolithic
> one?  IE speed benefits for large repositories? etc..

Right now there are a bunch of operations, like cp, which only work
within a repository.  If they ever work between repsitories, they still
won't be as efficient.  So a big repository gets a speed benefit if (and
only if) you copy or move files around within the components.

You also get atomic commits between components, so if you make changes
to one component which depend on changes to another component, you can
rule out the possibility of someone doing a checkout and getting skewed
versions.