Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> on 2017/06/28 09:32:42 UTC

Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Hi all,

my Designer, who is working with me on part of the new NetBeans page and on the new logo, as you can remember, gave me some suggestions, build on my proposal for a new NetBeans SplashScreen. See the attachment for this.

What will be the next progress to bring it on, to the new NetBeans 9.0 Release? I think it is time for a rebranding and modern UI concept for NetBeans, the Logo and the Page under Apache and with the new major release of NB 9.0. Should I create a ticket for this? Because I can remember that Bertrand Delacretaz suggested it via a ticket or so.

I know that this is not so the highest priority for this but it shouldn’t be so low, because it is a part of the whole DIE and we should Focus on it too, before the NB 9.0 release, if we will handle it there, which makes sense.

Regards

Chris

Re: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
I am missing the Apache feather...

Sven

Posted by Jens Hofschröer <ap...@nigjo.de>.
Hi Chris

AW: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Great Suggestion Dmitry, I like the lowercases on the second Image 😊
I don’t like the background but this is only my opinion, I think you wanted to bring the old/current logo into it if I guess it right?
I wanted to remove it from it because, when we will Change the logo, it doesn’t fit anymore. Only as a hint.

I will provide later more examples with a better Background pattern, which should Looks more modern than the current one from 7.0 until 8.2.

I will say BYOS – Bring Your Own Splashscreen too, that we can have a lot of alternatives and maybe a lot of stuff for next Releases 😊

Regards

Chris

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Or even this:

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Here's my version:

Posted by John Yeary <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Sure, we can Change it.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I can’t answered by my self properly, it Comes from the designer. I will ask him. For my perspective it is only a style element, nothing more. Sure we can have a Version with only emphasis the IDE + 9.0 or only IDE.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
So here is the PSD file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5EDo2BFcCwXclFYdG5oTkFLQ1E

Feel free to Change whatever you want. We use Helvetica Neue Lt STD LT and BD.

AW: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Grrr, sry xD german autocorrection :D

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

> Yes it should be Apache NetBeans DIE 9.0 with or without incubation, I will add more later. Thx.

NetBeans DIE, that was hard, lmao.

--
CM

RE: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Cezariusz Marek <ce...@comarch.pl>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Because flat or material design is now a modern concept. If you like, I can provide the PSD file and you can add smth to the Background if you want. Atm I couldn’t find a good, modern looking Background pattern, accept from triangles, which Comes from a github repo, which I can’t found it anymore.

It is only a suggestion to not clutter stuff with stuff which is not needed anymore. Times goes by and design is changing fast so move on to it.

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.

AW: AW: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Good Point emi. Do you mean the splash Screen in General? If yes, than it is needed of loading time. To see smth is better to see nothing. If not, than you mean only the style?

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, need to turn it around and completely head in another direction.

Re: AW: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
+1

So-called "flat" or "material" design is so last century -- right out of
the 80's.

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.
@Gail: the font is Maven Pro, available for free from fonts.google.com.
"IDE" is just in bold.
The background was a tribute to the cube logo of netbeans ;)

Posted by Gail Anderson <ga...@asgteach.com>.
I like the font example here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A3BtFY2Bv2NU1qLVJDbFhYZ00/view <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A3BtFY2Bv2NU1qLVJDbFhYZ00/view>

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by David Heffelfinger <dh...@gmail.com>.
I like that one too, second getting rid of the bold font, but not the
capital "B".

NetBeans has always been capitalized like that.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Cezariusz Marek <cezariusz.marek@comarch.pl

http://ensode.net - A Guide to Java, Linux and Other Technology Topics
My Books: http://www.packtpub.com/authors/profiles/david-heffelfinger
My Video Training:
http://www.packtpub.com/java-ee-development-with-netbeans-7/video
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ensode

RE: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Cezariusz Marek <ce...@comarch.pl>.

Posted by Ryan Cuprak <rc...@gmail.com>.
 I vote for the v1 Kopie 3...

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Yeah I like the splash Screens from Adobe too. I don’t like the NB splash Screens, my personal Thing. Thats why I try to bring a new one in.

Yeah the idea was to create a ticket for a contest, but I don’t know the rules. We can create a ticket and add all ideads to it.

I would prefer a splash Screen without the logo, because if we will have a logo rebrand too, it will be much better to have it not in there, the red-lined circle doesn’t look nice, it Looks more as a hack than wanted, because of the cutted White edges. This is very weird. Maybe we will have splash Screens without the text. So we will see.

Regards

Chris

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey Glenn,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 6:41 PM Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com> wrote:

> it's OK to use a nice-looking image.

Yes!  Given Sven's comment about the Apache feather, which as far as I
recall we don't *have* to use, I was wondering about background images of
feathers, changing each release?  Something like this (public domain) might
work?

https://pixabay.com/en/feather-water-water-drop-abstract-406761/

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: AW: Possible new splashscreen for NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Sure, I forgot it, sry.
Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5EDo2BFcCwXRndEZzlYTTNWWGM

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

You can't attach files to a mail sent to an apache mailing list :(
Could you provide a link instead ?
Cheers
Emmanuel

----------
Emmanuel Hugonnet
http://www.ehsavoie.com
http://twitter.com/ehsavoie

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Santo Pfingsten <sa...@lusito.info>.
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd give this a shot using material/flat style:
http://lusito.info/anb/nb9splash.png

I made a featherless version as well (I think the feather is a nice
addition tho, even if it's not required):
http://lusito.info/anb/nb9splash2.png

I used the logo proposal from this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Logo

Since there is only a png version with a white background, it doesn't
look as crisp as it could be.. insert imagination here.

Kind regards
Santo