Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Antti Karanta <an...@napa.fi> on 2008/05/26 12:49:29 UTC

Strange printing problem

                      Hi!

   When I print w/ fop using the print renderer, everything is fine when
using a HP LaserJet 4350 dtn, but a lot of the content is lost when using
HP LaserJet P3005dn. In a document containing some text and 5 svg pics,
none of the text and only 3 of 5 images (every second image is lost) make
it through to paper on P3005dn. The images are placed on the same
locations on paper as on the version where no content is lost.

   I suspected this might be an issue w/ the PCL version the printers
support, but they seem to support the same ones:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/12144670-12144918-12144920-12144920-12144986-12145000-29519501.html
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF06b/18972-18972-3328059-14638-236263-1846088-1846099-1846101.html

   Any ideas?

   Environment: java 1.5.0_15, fop 0.95 beta (from svn trunk this morning),
win xp sp2 + the printers mentioned above.

        -::Antti::-

Re: Strange printing problem

Posted by Antti Karanta <an...@napa.fi>.
On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:35:51 +0300, Jeremias Maerki <de...@xxx> wrote:

> In addition to Andreas' comments:
> This problem has come up here a number of times now (See archives).

   I tried googling for the problem before asking on the list, but found
nothing. I guess I didn't come up w/ the right search terms.

   If this issue has come up repeatedly, wouldn't it be a good idea to add
a mention of it to
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/knownissues_overview.html#Other+known+issues

   ?

   Had it been there, I wouldn't have bothered the list w/ it. = )

> The HP PCL drivers are known to cause problems with printing from
> AWT/Java2D.
> The HP *n priners (i.e. the ones with a network interface) usually all
> have PostScript capabilities. Please install the PostScript printer
> driver instead of the PCL one and there's a large chance that it'll work.

   Installing PS driver really did fix the problem! Thank you very much!

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
In addition to Andreas' comments:
This problem has come up here a number of times now (See archives). The

On 27.05.2008 00:00:07 Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On May 26, 2008, at 12:49, Antti Karanta wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> >   When I print w/ fop using the print renderer, everything is fine
> > when using a HP LaserJet 4350 dtn, but a lot of the content is lost
> > when using HP LaserJet P3005dn. In a document containing some text
> > and 5 svg pics, none of the text and only 3 of 5 images (every
> > second image is lost) make it through to paper on P3005dn. The
> > images are placed on the same locations on paper as on the version
> > where no content is lost.
> >
> > I suspected this might be an issue w/ the PCL version the printers
> > support, but they seem to support the same ones:
>
> Close, but not quite. FOP produces no PCL, unless the output format
> is explicitly specified as such. If you use the PrintRenderer,
> everything goes through java.awt.print.*
>
> What may be the cause here, is an incompatibility of the AWT Print
> implementation with the drivers for the P3005dn.
>
> In any case, there is nothing that can be done from the FOP side, I'm
> afraid. You could try producing PCL directly and send that to both
> printers, but the PCL Renderer is slightly less mature than PDF, PS
> or Java2D, so there are no guarantees that this will solve all (or
> even any) of your issues...
>

> Cheers
>
> Andreas

Jeremias Maerki