Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ian Rose <ia...@fullstory.com> on 2014/11/01 16:52:28 UTC

Re: Ideas for debugging poor SolrCloud scalability

Erick,

Just to make sure I am thinking about this right: batching will certainly
make a big difference in performance, but it should be more or less a
constant factor no matter how many Solr nodes you are using, right?  Right
now in my load tests, I'm not actually that concerned about the absolute
performance numbers; instead I'm just trying to figure out why relative
performance (no matter how bad it is since I am not batching) does not go
up with more Solr nodes.  Once I get that part figured out and we are
seeing more writes per sec when we add nodes, then I'll turn on batching in
the client to see what kind of additional performance gain that gets us.

Cheers,
Ian

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Ian:

Thanks much for the writeup! It's always good to have real-world documentation!

Best,
Erick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Ian Rose <ia...@fullstory.com>.
Hi again, all -

Since several people were kind enough to jump in to offer advice on this
thread, I wanted to follow up in case anyone finds this useful in the
future.

*tl;dr: *Routing updates to a random Solr node (and then letting it forward
the docs to where they need to go) is very expensive, more than I
expected.  Using a "smart" router that uses the cluster config to route
documents directly to their shard results in (near) linear scaling for us.

*Expository version:*

We use Go on our client, for which (to my knowledge) there is no SolrCloud
router implementation.  So we started by just routing updates to a random
Solr node and letting it forward the docs to where they need to go.  My
theory was that this would lead to a constant amount of additional work
(and thus still linear scaling).  This was based on the observation that if
you send an update of K documents to a Solr node in a N node cluster, in
the worst case scenario, all K documents will need to be forwarded on to
other nodes.  Since Solr nodes have perfect knowledge of where docs belong,
each doc would only take 1 additional hop to get to its replica.  So random
routing (in the limit) imposes 1 additional network hop for each document.

In practice, however, we find that (for small networks, at least) per-node
performance falls as you add shards.  In fact, the client performance (in
writes/sec) was essentially constant no matter how many shards we added.  I
do have a working theory as to why this might be (i.e. where the flaw is in
my logic above) but as this is merely an unverified theory I don't want to
lead anyone astray by writing it up here.

However, by writing a "smart" router that retrieves the clusterstate.json
file from Zookeeper and uses that to "perfectly" route documents to their
proper shard, we were able to achieve much better scalability.  Using a
synthetic workload, we were able to achieve 141.7 writes/sec to a cluster
of size 1 and 2506 writes/sec to a cluster of size 20 (125
writes/sec/node).  So a dropoff of ~12% which is not too bad.  We are
hoping to continue our tests with larger clusters to ensure that the
per-node write performance levels off and does not continue to drop as the
cluster scales.

I will also note that we initially had several bugs in our "smart" router
implementation so if you follow a similar path and see bad performance look
to your router implementation as you might not be routing correctly.  We
ended up writing a simple proxy that we ran in front of Solr to observe all
requests which helped immensely when verifying and debugging our router.
Yes tcpdump does something similar but viewing HTTP-level traffic is way
more convenient than TCP-level.  Plus Go makes little proxies like this
super easy to do.

Hope all that is useful to someone.  Thanks again to the posters above for
providing suggestions!

- Ian

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.