Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net> on 2005/03/11 03:44:27 UTC

Re: [proposal] Consistent property name and value for generated artifact location for JAR, WAR, EAR, RAR plugins

Vincent,

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 15:13 +0100, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ATM, these plugins have a maven.[plugin name].final.name property (except
> the RAR plugin but that's another problem) that points to the *name* of the
> generated artifact.

Unfortunately, not all the plugins have such properties. There are some
bugs to fix it (see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPJAVA-8) but we have not reached a
consensus (http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?
listName=dev@maven.apache.org&by=thread&from=905391) where such property
should exists or not (notice that I have already added it to a couple of
plugins before the discussion).

> 1/ Introduce a new property name maven.[plugin name].final.path which will
> default to ${maven.build.dir}/${maven.final.name}.[extension], i.e. it will
> contain the location + the name.

I'm fine with adding the new property...

> 2/ Deprecate usages of maven.[plugin name].final.name (and
> maven.war.build.dir for the JAR plugin). These properties will still be
> honored by the plugins but will issue a deprecation warning and be computed
> based on the new maven.[plugin name].final.path property.

... but I think the old ones are still useful

> Personally I prefer the deprecation as the name and dir can be computed
> easily from the path (using the <basename> and <basedir> Ant tasks) and
> having too many properties just make the plugins more complex.

Hmm, that would makes sense, although I don't think using such tag is so
trivial (I didn't even know such tag, to be honest :-(

-- Felipe

--
Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>
Falcon Informática