Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/20 11:31:07 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Camel on Android?

Hi,

I've been wondering about possibility of running Camel on Android.
>From the technical point of view running embedded Camel router on
Android device is probably possible. And there are many areas in
Android that could serve as a decent source or destination of messages
- Rabbit MQ Android client, Spring REST template, XMPP, GPS, SMS,
Android persistent stores, Android lifecycle events and many more.
Some of existing Camel components will probably work on Android as
well.

The key question is - are there any plans (in Camel community,
FuseSource or whatever) of bringing Camel to the Android? Do you see
any business value of bringing Camel to mobile devices? Playing with
this topic could be very amusing from the architectural and
engineering point of view but I don't want to start researches and
experiments with the subject that seems interesting only for me :) .

--
Henryk Konsek
http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSSION] Camel on Android?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Really interesting ;)

Regards
JB

On 08/10/2012 11:55 PM, Christian Müller wrote:
> Cool. I love it... ;-)
>
> Best,
> Christian
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> This is not my top priority but I'll try to dedicate some time for it.
>>
>> Just for your information. I couldn't resist the temptation :) and
>> I've just started my very first Android router on Android platform. It
>> routes messages from the Timer component and logs them to the Android
>> logger (via our standard Log component).
>>
>> 08-10 22:54:03.773: INFO/CAMEL-ANDROID(403): Exchange[Message: [Body
>> is Hello Android!]]
>> 08-10 22:54:08.764: INFO/CAMEL-ANDROID(403): Exchange[Message: [Body
>> is Hello Android!]]
>>
>> Android SDK version is 3.2.
>>
>> It was not as trivial task as I've been expecting. I needed to hack
>> several things in order to start the router. I'll create a GitHub
>> project with examples and probably a wiki page where I'll document my
>> current (and future) researches in this area.
>>
>> Laters.
>>
>> --
>> Henryk Konsek
>> http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSSION] Camel on Android?

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Cool. I love it... ;-)

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> Actually there's gonna be a lot of work. There are a bunch of issues, the
> threading model being the critical one, I think.

In my spare time I will create GitHub project with some Proof Of
Concepts and wiki page where we could summarize the current state of
research regarding this topic. It will be nice to have it in one
place.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Actually there's gonna be a lot of work. There are a bunch of issues,
the threading model being the critical one, I think.

Hadrian

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

--
Willem

Re: [DISCUSSION] Camel on Android?

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Yes Henryk. Camel as of now does not run well (if at all) on embedded
devices for a number of reasons. I don't think there's much we can do