Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by "Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com> on 2009/09/10 13:06:03 UTC

Apache Wink Devloper Guide Documentation

Hi All,

I would like to draw your attention to the "Apache Wink Wiki" site, there I have created the documentation for the Apache Wink project.

The documentation, titled "Apache Wink Developer Guide" contains the latest information pertaining to the current version of Apache Wink.

In order to improve and streamline the documentation process I would please ask that the following guidelines are adhered to:

When adding a new topic to the TOC (or anywhere in the documentation) make sure to add underneath the heading "TDB" (to be defined), also write your name there so that I will be able to track the progress on the new topic and also review the content as well as have the name of the person who is responsible for adding the content to the Wiki.

Please Note: adding your name is very important because it will enable me or anyone else to refer to the correct person, saving time.

Also, please review the documentation, adding relevant points where necessary.
I have finished writing the first two section of the Wiki, titled: Introduction to Apache Wink and Apache Wink Building Blocks.

Please review these two chapters (sections) and send me your feedback, as I complete additional chapters (sections) I will send an e-mail notification asking for review and feedback.

Your input is valuable to me, please add topics and review the wiki content.

Thanks,
Michael Bruggeman

Re: Apache Wink Devloper Guide Documentation

Posted by Bryant Luk <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

--

- Bryant Luk

RE: Apache Wink Devloper Guide Documentation

Posted by Michael Rheinheimer <ro...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks,

So, forgive me if I'm out of the loop on this.  There are some samples
added that demonstrate how to use additional providers that are not
necessarily shipped as part of the core, such as Jettison, Jackson -- see
wink-providers module.

Do we document this capability somewhere?  Do we have a placeholder for
"wink runtime also tested with..." type statements?

Thanks..
mike

Mike Rheinheimer
(512) 838-0086   t/l 678-0086
WebSphere WebService Core Engine Team

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Baram, Eliezer" <eb...@hp.com>                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"wink-dev@incubator.apache.org" <wi...@incubator.apache.org>                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |09/10/2009 10:08 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

Posted by Bryant Luk <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for doing the updates.  One minor nitpick, I think all the
acronyms (REST, HTTP, URI, URL, MIME, JSON, etc.) should be
capitalized.  I tried capitalizing all the ones I could find.  I like
the links at the top to make chapter 2 easier to click through.

For the Chapter 2, Building Blocks, I think we should drop the
internal Deployment Configuration section from that page, and then add
a blurb about the public HandlersFactory with more info over at the
Handlers chains.

One organizational change I would like to make is to add a Chapter 1.5
Quick Start Guide.  Something small like
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WINK/JAX-RS+Getting+Started
for the Server side and another one for the client.  It may be just me
but after Chapter 2, I'm exhausted, and I'm thinking "if I have to
read all this stuff before I even write a line of code for a
supposedly easy and simple REST service, I give up".  IMO, as someone
wanting to pick up new technology/features, I always like to see a
"one page" example that shows enough to get something running without
having to read lots of text.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  Maybe easier
to add two new sections to Chapter 1.  Please let me know if this is
something worth adding.

--

- Bryant Luk

RE: Apache Wink Devloper Guide Documentation

> [...]

I would suggest that it go either to the list or via JIRAs.  Either way, it should be openly available.

-Nick

________________________________
I'm new to Wink. I work on customer problems found in the JAX-RPC and JAX-WS runtimes of WebSphere (an IBM product--sorry if I'm being so obvious but I don't want to assume). I'm very happy to review your developer guide--I'm finding it very insightful and helpful in getting up to speed. My goal is like everyone else's on this list: to help make Wink as user-friendly and understandable to customers as possible. I imagine the documentation is the first exposure customers have with the product, as it is with me.

Do you want my feedback here, sent to this list, or sent privately to you alone, or...in some other forum?

"Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com>

"Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com>
09/10/2009 06:06 AM
Please respond to

Posted by Wendy C Raschke <wr...@us.ibm.com>.
> [...]

specification and didn't find any mention of it. I'm sure my confusion is
largely due to my relative unfamiliarity with JAX-RS and Wink, but perhaps
a clarification on the difference might be helpful.

* And on a more general topic, can you consider creating a section that
highlights how JAX-RS differs from JAX-RPC, JAX-WS, and other web services
for J2EE? For example, identify that the messages aren't wrapped in SOAP,
how there are no WSDL files to describe the contract between client and
server, or how JAX-RS is very HTTP-centric--all the major characteristics
that set it apart from the other programming models? I say this because I
imagine lots of customers will have come from backgrounds where they used
JAX-RPC, JAX-WS, or SAAJ, and are accustomed to the JSR-109 paradigm of web
services. I know the differences of JAX-RS totally threw me off.

             Nicholas Gallardo
             <nickgallardo@yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
                                       wink-dev@incubator.apache.org
             09/10/2009 02:53                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Apache Wink Devloper Guide
             Please respond to         Documentation
             wink-dev@incubato
               r.apache.org

> Do you want my feedback here, sent to this list, or sent privately to you
alone, or...in some other forum?

I would suggest that it go either to the list or via JIRAs.  Either way, it
should be openly available.

-Nick

________________________________
I'm new to Wink. I work on customer problems found in the JAX-RPC and
JAX-WS runtimes of WebSphere (an IBM product--sorry if I'm being so obvious
but I don't want to assume). I'm very happy to review your developer
guide--I'm finding it very insightful and helpful in getting up to speed.
My goal is like everyone else's on this list: to help make Wink as
user-friendly and understandable to customers as possible. I imagine the
documentation is the first exposure customers have with the product, as it
is with me.

Do you want my feedback here, sent to this list, or sent privately to you
alone, or...in some other forum?

Thank you,
Wendy
>^. .^< ~  -- Ciao and Meow

"Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com>

"Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com>
09/10/2009 06:06 AM
Please respond to

Posted by Nicholas Gallardo <ni...@yahoo.com>.
> Do you want my feedback here, sent to this list, or sent privately to you alone, or...in some other forum?

I would suggest that it go either to the list or via JIRAs.  Either way, it should be openly available.

-Nick

________________________________
I'm new to Wink. I work on customer problems found in the JAX-RPC and JAX-WS runtimes of WebSphere (an IBM product--sorry if I'm being so obvious but I don't want to assume). I'm very happy to review your developer guide--I'm finding it very insightful and helpful in getting up to speed. My goal is like everyone else's on this list: to help make Wink as user-friendly and understandable to customers as possible. I imagine the documentation is the first exposure customers have with the product, as it is with me.

Do you want my feedback here, sent to this list, or sent privately to you alone, or...in some other forum?

Thank you,
Wendy
>^. .^< ~  -- Ciao and Meow

"Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com>

"Bruggeman, Michael" <mi...@hp.com>
09/10/2009 06:06 AM
Please respond to

Posted by Wendy C Raschke <wr...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi, Michael,

I'm new to Wink. I work on customer problems found in the JAX-RPC and
JAX-WS runtimes of WebSphere (an IBM product--sorry if I'm being so obvious
but I don't want to assume). I'm very happy to review your developer
guide--I'm finding it very insightful and helpful in getting up to speed.
My goal is like everyone else's on this list: to help make Wink as
user-friendly and understandable to customers as possible. I imagine the
documentation is the first exposure customers have with the product, as it
is with me.

Do you want my feedback here, sent to this list, or sent privately to you
alone, or...in some other forum?

Thank you,
Wendy
>^. .^< ~  -- Ciao and Meow

             "Bruggeman,
             Michael"
             <michael.bruggema                                          To
             n@hp.com>                 "wink-dev@incubator.apache.org"
                                       <wi...@incubator.apache.org>
             09/10/2009 06:06                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Apache Wink Devloper Guide