Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2013/04/14 19:23:09 UTC

Re: [DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

On 02/10/2013 04:11 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
> On 02/10/2013 02:50 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 10. Februar 2013 um 19:04 schrieb Carl Marcum:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to branch NB integration plugin for 3.0 and start modifying
>>> trunk for AOO 4.0 compatibility.
>>>
>>> I would like to also tag current version as 3.0.1 at the same time.
>>>
>>> Trunk would become version 4.0 to maintain major version number the same
>>> as AOO.
>>>
>>> If there are no objections to the above proposal within 72-hours then I
>>> will invoke Lazy Consensus and proceed to implement the above proposal.
>>>
>> You can if course create a branch but I don't see the demand for it.
>> You can continue the development towards 4.0 on trunk. I don't see
>> many activity here and a branch is not really necessary from my pov.
>>
>> Juergen
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Carl
>>>

>   I agree. we can always create a branch based on a revision number
> later if needed.

I thought about it more and since the next changes will be incompatible
with AOO 3.4 I tagged a 3.0.2 version and created a 3.0 branch to make
it easier if someone needs to make changes for 3.4 compatible plugins.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/13 3:36 PM, janI wrote:
> On 15 April 2013 15:31, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 72-hours

>> for
>> see

>> number

>> some
>> have

>> keep a

>> do

>> in

>>> I thought the source release was the full main ??
>>
>> yes, it is but the NetBeans plugin is not in main ;-)
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/netbeansintegration/
>>
> hmmm, what is
>
> main/scripting/java/org/openoffice/netbeans
>
> then, I thought that was the plugin, that contains both an editor and
> modules.
>
> or do we have some kind of unwanted mixture ?

no everything is as expected. What you have found in main is the
beanshell scripting stuff that make use of a NetBeans editor when I
remember correctly.

Juergen

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,

On 04/14/2013 02:58 PM, janI wrote:
> On 14 April 2013 20:25, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Juergen,
>>

>> On 04/14/2013 01:32 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carl,

>>> I agree now and with my upcoming 3layer removal there will be some work
>>> to do in the plugin. It mainly that places of jars, tools, libs have
>>> changed.
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>

>> Is this something that will be implemented in AOO 4 release?
>>

> How come it is a 3.0 branch ?? that sounds old to me, shouldnt it be
> 3.4.1x branch ?

The Netbeans plugin versions didn't historically coincide with the OOo
version numbers (that I know of).

When the code came to Apache it was version 2.0.7 and I tagged that
version and started work to make it run on Netbeans 6.9 which was
Netbeans 7.0 api changes. That's when I changed it to 3.0. Some
additional localization work took it to 3.0.2.

I'm not sure what the best solution to version numbering other than to
do a major number change when it's not compatible with AOO or NB and
keep a compatibility table somewhere.

> I do agree with the principle in having a branch. We have however to make
> it clear to developers, that when using that branch their code will not
> avalible with 4.0.

I agree, that's why I hope everyone continues to do work on trunk and we
only merge changes if needed for some reason. But we have a well
established break point.

> rgds
> jan I.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,

On 04/14/2013 02:58 PM, janI wrote:
> On 14 April 2013 20:25, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Juergen,
>>

>> On 04/14/2013 01:32 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carl,

>>> I agree now and with my upcoming 3layer removal there will be some work
>>> to do in the plugin. It mainly that places of jars, tools, libs have
>>> changed.
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>

>> Is this something that will be implemented in AOO 4 release?
>>

> How come it is a 3.0 branch ?? that sounds old to me, shouldnt it be
> 3.4.1x branch ?

The Netbeans plugin versions didn't historically coincide with the OOo
version numbers (that I know of).

When the code came to Apache it was version 2.0.7 and I tagged that
version and started work to make it run on Netbeans 6.9 which was
Netbeans 7.0 api changes. That's when I changed it to 3.0. Some
additional localization work took it to 3.0.2.

I'm not sure what the best solution to version numbering other than to
do a major number change when it's not compatible with AOO or NB and
keep a compatibility table somewhere.

> I do agree with the principle in having a branch. We have however to make
> it clear to developers, that when using that branch their code will not
> avalible with 4.0.

I agree, that's why I hope everyone continues to do work on trunk and we
only merge changes if needed for some reason. But we have a well
established break point.

> rgds
> jan I.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [DEVTOOLS] [PROPOSAL] branch Netbeans plugin for 3.0 and begin 4.0 trunk

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Am Sonntag, 14. April 2013 um 20:25 schrieb Carl Marcum:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> On 04/14/2013 01:32 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi Carl,

> > > I thought about it more and since the next changes will be incompatible
> > > with AOO 3.4 I tagged a 3.0.2 version and created a 3.0 branch to make
> > > it easier if someone needs to make changes for 3.4 compatible plugins.
> > >

> > I agree now and with my upcoming 3layer removal there will be some work to do in the plugin. It mainly that places of jars, tools, libs have changed.
> >
> > Juergen
> > >

> Is this something that will be implemented in AOO 4 release?
yes that is the plan, 4.0 is the best time for it.

Juergen

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Juergen,

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.