Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by dave <ce...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/13 01:34:18 UTC

using jaxen/xalan with XMLBeans for Xpath processing..

I already using jaxen and xalan-j jars for my app. I
just need XMLBeans for XML validation and Java
binding. So, can I reuse my existing Jars
(jaxen/xalan-j) instead of xbean_xpath + saxon8 to
perform XPath processing?

cheers!
-D

Re: using jaxen/xalan with XMLBeans for Xpath processing..

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
I believe xmlbeans 1.04 used Jaxen as its XPath engine, in the 2.0
release the engine was updated to use saxon as the xquery/xpath
engine.

Re: any known issues of using XMLBeans 2.3.x with Java 5/Jboss 4.x

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
I haven't had any issues using XMLBeans 2.3 with JDK 5.0 on Linux. I
haven't used JBoss with XMLBeans, but I don't see why you would have
any issues.
-jacobd

Re: handling just the Name changes in XSD..

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.
can I assume it's one of the drawbacks of XMLBeans
where it can't provide configurable mapping between
Java and XSD (in terms of element/attribute names and
Java methods)?

-D

Re: XSDL 1.1 support in XmlBeans..

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure about those other technologies. I've had some luck in the past
searching sourceforge/freshmeat or just looking on Google for
<technology> <programming language.
Best of luck,
-jacobd

On Jan 16, 2008 10:51 PM, dave <ce...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, what is the best available option outside XMLBeans
> in this situation?
>
> --- Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thats correct, Schematron, RelaxNg, etc. are not
> > supported. Only XML Schema
> > 1.0 is supported.
> > -jacobd
> >
> > On Jan 14, 2008 9:48 PM, dave <ce...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > just to double confirm- XMLBeans doesn't support
> > other
> > > schema languages like Schematron,etc?
> > >
> > > -D

> > 1.1

> > using

I'm competing in a Half-Ironman distance triathlon to raise money for the
fight against cancer!
Please help support my efforts by going to:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntwaak/jacobd

Re: XSDL 1.1 support in XmlBeans..

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Radu Preotiuc-Pietro <ra...@bea.com>.
Only W3C XMLSchema 1.0 is supported.

Radu

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 22:31 -0800, dave wrote:
> Does XmlBeans 2.3.0 support validation of XSDL 1.1
> based XML?
>
> Also, does XmlBeans Support a schema written using
> multiple langauges- W3C XSDL 1.x, Schematron, RelaxNg?
> By Support, I mean the support for schema compilation,
> validation,etc.
>
> thanks
> -D

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

XSDL 1.1 support in XmlBeans..

Re: is XSD text file stored at all in XMLBeans output?

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,
If you have the jar that scomp generated, the xsd used to create the jar
should exist at the path
<jarname>!/schemaorg_apache_xmlbeans/src
in the jar file.

if you want programmatic access to the text/xsd file, you can use the API
Cezar mentioned (getSourceName()) and get the file doing a resource lookup.

-jacobd

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.
Here is my context:

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.
I just started using XmlBeans around 2 weeks ago.

One issue I see is during code development phase and
alpha releases. There are frequent request from
testers to change the Tag names to more meaningful
ones. When this  happens, you need to change your
parsing code as well. That's a pain.

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@bea.com>.
Dave,

Re: how to get jdom Document from XmlObject efficiently?

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK there isn't a convenience API to go from XmlObject to JDom Document.
However, you can go from XmlObject to org.w3c.dom Node Object using
XmlObject.newDomNode(). One thing to note that I particularly enjoy is that
XMLBeans provides a DOM2 Level API/Implementation so you can go seamless
from
DOM <->  XmlCursor <-> XmlObject
Once this feature was implemented I stopped using JDom, but I'm sure there
is some kind of convenience method to go from org.w3c DOM to JDom.
Best of luck,
-jacobd

Re: how stable is xpath handling in XMLBeans (even a basic expression fails with RunTimeException)

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
I've always viewed Xpath as a subset of XQuery.

When the statements get too complex for xmlbeans to handle internally, it
delegates to the available engine to process. This way XMLBeans does not
need to implement an internal xpath engine, but rather can piggy back off
the richer, fuller feature set of xquery.

The xbean_xpath.jar is the hookup between xmlbeans and the xquery engine. In
the 1.x release, it provided the hookup to jaxen. In the 2.x release, it
provides the hookup for saxon.

-jacobd

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.

RE: when do you need these jars: resolver.jar,etc..

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.
so, if I use xmlpublic.jar to compile, do I need it
during Runtime as well?

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@bea.com>.

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.

handling just the Name changes in XSD..

Re: inserting processing insruction without using XMlCursor..

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
there is a method XmlObject.newDomNode()
http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.0.0/reference/org/apache/xmlbeans/XmlTokenSource.html#newDomNode()
There is also newCursor if you wanted to use the XmlCursor APIs

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.

validation mechanism while constructing a new XML instance..

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.
This is related to validating a brand new XML instance
WHILE being created programmatically using XMLBeans:
 Do you generally perform validation at the very end
of completely creating an XML instance? If Yes, how
would you correct these validation errors
programmatically? It looks like a daunting task.

 OR

Does it even make sense to perform on-the-fly
validation while constructing a new XML instance? If
Yes, how would you tell the system when the instance
is even incrementally valid before turning ON the
validation. I can imagine there must be an API to
enable/disable on-the-fly validation during the
creation of XML instance. I might be wrong as it may
not make sense.

OR

Does the application design needs to ensure that the
generated XML is always valid?

-D

Re: any need to store generated src java files from scomp?

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yep. we build the XSDs as part of a product build and put the jars on
the in standard locations so everything is on teh classpath once the
build is succesful.
-jacobd

Posted by dave <ce...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.