Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2019/10/21 09:54:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Greetings folks:

Please consider the following proposal, which is also on the wiki[1].
I look forward to hearing feedback.

TubeMQ

=Abstract=

TubeMQ is a distributed messaging queue (MQ) system developed by
Tencent Big Data since 2013. It focuses on high-performance storage
and transmission of massive data in big data scenarios.After nearly
seven years of massive data precipitation, TubeMQ has certain
advantages in production practice (stability + performance) and low
cost compared to many open source MQ projects.

=Proposal=

TubeMQ is suitable for high concurrency, massive data and tolerates a
small amount of data loss scenarios under abnormal conditions, such as
massive log collection, indicator statistics and monitoring, etc.
TubeMQ does not support highly reliable data transmission services
yet. It could be on a future project roadmap, as many other MQs. but
not today.

=Rationale=

Just like other message queue systems, TubeMQ is built on the
publish-subscribe pattern, aka pub-sub.
In this pattern, producers publish messages to topics while consumers
subscribe to those topics. After incoming messages get proceeded,
consumers send an acknowledgement back to producer. Once a
subscription has been created, all messages will be tracked and
retained by TubeMQ, even if the consumer go offline for some reasons.
Retained messages will be discarded only when a consumer acknowledges
that they've been successfully processed.

Portal is responsible for interact with user and admin system which
include two parts: API and web portal.

Master is controller of the cluster, which include one or multiple
master node(s) which is responsible for managing state of cluster,
resource scheduling, authentication check and maintaining of metadata.
As a reliable system, TubeMQ provides HA solution for master node.

Broker is responsible for data store which include a cluster of broker
nodes. Every broker node is managing a set of topics, include: append,
delete, update, query of topic information. In TubeMQ, these brokers
can be horizontal scaled and can be very large size for massive data
case.

Client is responsible for producing and consuming messages. When a
pub-sub topic get setup, we can support two ways (push and pull) for
delivering message from producers to consumers.

Zookeeper is for storing offset of messages which is used to recover
topic during some components get failed.

=Initial Goals=

The initial goal will be to move the current codebase in github’s
repository under Tencent account to Apache and integrate with the
Apache development process and infrastructure.
A primary goal of incubation will be to grow and diversify the TubeMQ
community. We are well aware that the project community is largely
comprised of individuals from a single company. We aim to change that
during incubation.

=Current Status=

As previously mentioned, TubeMQ is under active development at
Tencent, and is being used in processing large volumes of data for
most services and products.

=Meritocracy=

We value meritocracy and we understand that it is the basis for an
open community that encourages multiple companies and individuals to
contribute and be invested in the project’s future. We will encourage
and monitor participation and make sure to extend privileges and
responsibilities to all contributors.

=Community=

TubeMQ is currently being used by developers at Tencent and a growing
number of users are actively using it in production environments.
TubeMQ has received contributions from developers working outside of
Tencent since it was open sourced on github in September 2019 By
bringing TubeMQ to Apache we aim to assure current and future
contributors that the TubeMQ community is neutral, meritocratic, and
open, in order to broaden and diversity the user and developer
community.

=Core Developers=

TubeMQ was initially developed at Tencent and is under active
development. We believe Tencent will be of interest to a broad range
of users and developers and that incubating the project at the ASF
will help us build a diverse, sustainable community.

=Alignment=

TubeMQ utilizes other Apache projects such as Hadoop, HBase and
Zookeeper. We anticipate integration with additional Apache projects
as the TubeMQ community and interest in the project grows.

=Known Risks=

==Orphaned Products==

Tencent is committed to the future development of TubeMQ and
understands that graduation to a TLP, while preferable, is not the
only positive outcome of incubation.

Should the TubeMQ project be accepted by the Incubator, the
prospective PPMC would be willing to agree to a target incubation
period of 2 years or less, knowing that every Incubator project incurs
a certain cost in terms of ASF infrastructure and volunteer time.

==Inexperience with Open Source==

Three of the initial committers are Apache Members and Incubator PMC
Members. This will help acclimate the community members to working in
the Apache Way.

==Homogenous Developers==

The majority of the committers work at Tencent, though we are
committed to recruiting and developing additional committers from a
wide spectrum of industries and backgrounds. Since being open sourced,
many contributors that are outside of Tencent have engaged and begun
contributing to the project.

==Reliance on Salaried Developers==

It is expected that Tencent development will occur on both salaried
time and on volunteer time, after hours. Most of the initial
committers are paid by Tencent to contribute to this project. However,
they are all passionate about the project, and we are both confident
and hopeful that the project will continue even if no salaried
developers contribute to the project.

==Relationships with Other Apache Products==

As mentioned in the Rationale section, TubeMQ utilizes a number of
existing Apache projects (Avro, Zookeeper, etc.), and we expect that
list to expand as the community grows and diversifies. Any Apache
project in the big data space that needs to process data in streaming
way would be potentially relevant, such as Flink, Spark Streaming,
etc. To provide convenient access to event streams served by TubeMQ,
we plan to open source connectors to different stream computation
engines. With these connectors, Spark and Flink can read and write
data directly from/to topics served by TubeM.

==An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand==

We are applying to the Incubator process because we think it is the
next logical step for the TubeMQ project after open-sourcing the code.
This proposal is not for the purpose of generating publicity. Rather,
we want to make sure to create a very inclusive and meritocratic
community, outside the umbrella of a single company. Tencent has a
long history of contributing to Apache projects and the TubeMQ
developers and contributors understand the implication of making it an
Apache project.

=Required Resources=

Mailing lists
  dev@tubemq.incubator.apache.org
  commits@tubemq.incubator.apache.org
  private@tubemq.incubator.apache.org
The podling may also create a user mailing list, if needed.
Source Control(gitbox) and Issue Tracking(Github issues)

=Current Resources=

Initial source: github.com/Tencent/TubeMQ

Initial documentation

=Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan=

The TubeMQ source code in Github is currently licensed under Apache
License v2.0 and the copyright is assigned to Tencent. If TubeMQ
becomes an Incubator project at the ASF, Tencent will transfer the
source code and trademark ownership to the Apache Software Foundation
via a Software Grant Agreement.

=External Dependencies=

==External dependencies licensed under Apache License 2.0==

citrus                        r3.1.4       https://github.com/webx/citrus
commons-cli            1.2               https://github.com/apache/commons-cli
commons-codec      1.10
https://github.com/apache/commons-codec
commons-lang         2.6                 https://github.com/apache/commons-lang
commons-io             2.1               https://github.com/apache/commons-io
easymock                 2.5.2           https://github.com/easymock/easymock
fastjson                    1.2.60         https://github.com/alibaba/fastjson
guava                       13.0         https://github.com/google/guava
hbase                     0.94.27
https://github.com/apache/hbase
ini4j                          0.5.1
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ini4j
mina                     apache-2.0.12-src   https://github.com/apache/mina
netty                     3.8.0.Final
https://github.com/netty/netty
openmct         v0.9.0
https://gitee.com/ford25v6/openmct
powermock              1.6.5
https://github.com/powermock/powermock
velocity                     1.7
https://github.com/apache/velocity-engine
velocity-tools         2.0
https://github.com/apache/velocity-tools
zookeeper                3.4.3             https://github.com/apache/zookeeper
Apache Avro         1.7.6
https://github.com/apache/avro
jetty                          6.1.26
http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/mortbay/jetty
Berkeley DB       Java Edition 7.3.7
http://download.oracle.com/otn/berkeley-db
spring-core         4.1.6.RELEASE
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework
spring-context   4.1.6.RELEASE
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework
spring-jdbc        4.1.6.RELEASE
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework
spring-orm        4.1.6.RELEASE
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework
servlet-api            2.5
http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/mortbay/jetty/servlet-api
jackson-mapper-asl 1.9.13
http://www.java2s.com/Code/JarDownload/jackson-mapper
Metamorphosis   metamorphosis-all-1.4.4
https://github.com/killme2008/Metamorphosis

==External dependencies licensed under the MIT License==

datatables 1.10.7                       https://github.com/DataTables/DataTables
JustWriting 1.0.0                       https://github.com/GingJan/JustWriting
jquery             1.11.3                       https://github.com/jquery/jquery
slf4j             1.6.2                       https://github.com/qos-ch/slf4j
mockito 2.0.2-beta           https://github.com/mockito/mockito

==External dependencies licensed under the New BSD License==

protobuf   2.5.0                       https://github.com/google/protobuf

==External dependencies licensed under the Eclipse Public License 1.0==

junit               4.11
https://github.com/junit-team/junit4

==Cryptography==

Not applicable.

=Initial Committers=

Goson Zhang
Guangxu Cheng gxcheng@apache.org
Jerry Shao jshao@apache.org
Jie Jiang
Junjie Chen
Junping Du junping_du@apache.org
Kayne Wu
Lamber Liu
Osgoo Li
Peng Chen
Sijie Guo
Xiang Li xiangli@apache.org
Yiheng Wang
Yuhong Liu
Zak Wu
Zili Chen tison@apache.org

=Sponsors=

Champion and mentor: David Nalley ke4qqq@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
Mentors: Junping Du junpingdu@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
               Justin Mclain jmclean@apache.org (ASF Member, VP of Incubator)
               Sijie Guo sijie@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
               Zhijie Shen zjshen@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)

=Sponsoring Entity=

The Apache Incubator

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/TubeMQ+Proposal
- Side note that the wiki page has an informative graphic, which is
not present in this email.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by ซ่อยค่อย ลืมเขาแน่ <09...@gmail.com>.
เมื่อ 30 ต.ค. 2019 8:41 AM "David Nalley" <da...@gnsa.us> เขียนว่า

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by ซ่อยค่อย ลืมเขาแน่ <09...@gmail.com>.
เมื่อ 30 ต.ค. 2019 12:06 PM "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" <jb...@nanthrax.net>
เขียนว่า

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks David !

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

On 21/10/2019 11:54, David Nalley wrote:
> [...]
> Osgoo Li
> Peng Chen
> Sijie Guo
> Xiang Li xiangli@apache.org
> Yiheng Wang
> Yuhong Liu
> Zak Wu
> Zili Chen tison@apache.org
>
> =Sponsors=
>
> Champion and mentor: David Nalley ke4qqq@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
> Mentors: Junping Du junpingdu@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
>                Justin Mclain jmclean@apache.org (ASF Member, VP of Incubator)
>                Sijie Guo sijie@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
>                Zhijie Shen zjshen@apache.org (ASF Member, Incubator PMC)
>
> =Sponsoring Entity=
>
> The Apache Incubator
>

> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/TubeMQ+Proposal
> - Side note that the wiki page has an informative graphic, which is

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.
Agree. Just like we have different SQL engines in Apache (Hive, Impala,
SparkSQL, Hawq, etc.) - most of them are competitive but have different
design trade-offs and have successful user/developer community. It
shouldn't be a concern for project incubator stage.

Thanks,

Junping

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2019年10月21日周一 下午11:07写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ted,

yes good point, you are right, let's eventually move this into a
dedicated thread.

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
JBO,

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

As soon as we have communities, there's no problem.

I think it would just be interesting to have some details about why
TubeMQ brings something different compare to existing MQ projects
(Kafka, Pulsar, ActiveMQ, etc).
The purpose is not to challenge projects each other but have better
understanding of TubeMQ.

Just my $0.01

Regards
JB

On 21/10/2019 17:07, Sheng Wu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't see the competition among different MQ solutions is an issue. This
> happens among all OSS projects, inside or outside ASF.
> We are using the Apache Way to help the project to build the community.
> If(only if) it is not better than Kafka in all fields(an assumption only),
> it will/could end with a lack of contributors/committers. But this should
> not be a block for starting the incubating process.
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟
>
> Apache SkyWalking
> Apache Incubator
> Apache ShardingSphere, ECharts, DolphinScheduler podlings
> Zipkin
> Twitter, wusheng1108
>

> Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年10月21日周一 下午5:31写道:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> The first one is if we are able to mentor the project well enough (old
>> discussion).
>>
>> You might be right about that the project currently I believe there's only
>> one mentor with recent mentoring experience, and while all proposed are ASF
>> members, not all of them are active on the IPMC general list. It might be
>> better for the project to have at least one other mentor with executive and
>> is more active in the IPMC. What do others think?
>>
>>> As the project comes from Tencent I assume that the community is mostly
>> Chinese and due to the language barrier (and probably a different culture)
>> we have seen that these projects tend to be "more challenging" (this does
>> not describe it accurate enough but I hope that readers understand what I
>> mean).
>>
>> While projects in this group do have some challenges, I don’t believe it’s
>> anymore than other projects from different background. In some ways the ASF
>> model is a good cultural fit - see Sharan’s thesis on that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Apache Pulsar is doing well and it is competing with Apache Kafka.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, you made a very good point. We bring project to Apache Incubator
is for growing the community.
It take some time to let the team learn about the Apache Way. It could
be a growing pain because we need to change the mind set when doing
the project development.
Good luck for your project incubating journey, please let me know if
you need any help from my side.

Regards,

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by "Tan,Zhongyi" <ta...@baidu.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ming! I have the same hope and let's see how project and community
will be growing with Apache's magic and everyone's making effort!

Thanks,

Junping

Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> 于2019年10月23日周三 下午12:02写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Ming Wen <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] TubeMQ Proposal

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi David,

thanks for the nice proposal.
I think it was already introduced a bit at the ApacheCon NA so it may already be known a bit to some folks.
The proposal reads quite nice and TubeMQ seems to be a really nice project and has some impressive capabilities and USPs.

Although, those who know me know that I tend to be concerned a lot. The two main concerns I see here are not really related to the project in detail but rather to two general questions.

The first one is if we are able to mentor the project well enough (old discussion). As the project comes from Tencent I assume that the community is mostly Chinese and due to the language barrier (and probably a different culture) we have seen that these projects tend to be "more challenging" (this does not describe it accurate enough but I hope that readers understand what I mean).

Aside from that I have the impressions that Messaging and Pub/Sub is the new "JS Frontend" thing and we get new Projects each week. I am not too deep into the topic (only used Kafka and MQTT) but especially at the last ACNA I got the impression that Pulsar is doing a lot to catch up with Kafka and in our industrial environment MQTT is pretty set.
But overall we have many Messaging solutions in the ASF all with different aspects and USPs yes but overall also with tons of overlap. Which is bad then when it comes to "too much" competition and brain-split.

So maybe for someone deeply involved in the field my concerns sound unreasonable but this is the impression I have. And I don’t know if we already had such a situation but as the foundation is kind of the "bracket" which keeps all projects and PMCs together we should also keep this in mind a bit.

I am interested to hear what others think.

Julian