Posted to users@flex.apache.org by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2013/10/02 12:12:53 UTC

Usage of Adobe Scout

Hi Gyus :)

Today I have a question.

In one of my last Flex projects I am experiencing some performance issues. The amount of data being processed by the client has increased by a factor of about 10 and now I am having some major usability problems. In order to track them down, I got my hands on the 30 Day trial of Adobe Scout as part the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. I even managed to get my application to display data in Scout by using the "Scout Enabler" Tool (http://renaun.com/blog/2012/12/enable-advanced-telemetry-on-flex-or-old-swfs-with-swf-scount-enabler/)

Just a short side-question here ... do I have to only enable advanced telemetry for my loader applications swf or do I have to enable it for all loaded modules and rsls too?

Now when looking at Scout I can see a lot of data, a liitle information about where how much time is used. But as soon as I really want to see where the performance problems are, I seem to be unable to see anything. The AvtivitySequence shows me that 98% of the time is used in "enterFrame" and as soon as I expand that, I can see loads of stuff, but all has about 0% of these 98% ... looking though the list, there doesn't seem to be anything causing my problems.

Is there any tutorial about how to track down Performance issues using Scout?

Chris

Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> In the RELEASE_NOTES, I dont see the actual compiler option to be added.
> Will just adding " -advanced-telemetry" to compiler options enable Scout
> profiling capability to Apache Flex 4.10 apps?

Yes or -advanced-telemetry=true.

It can also be specified in the flex config file and also be set from the ant task.

Thanks,
justin

Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Not many people seem to know this.  Is there any documentation out there
> on
> > how to enable advanced telemetry with Apache Flex 4.10?
> It's in the release notes, but other than that none I'm aware of.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

In the RELEASE_NOTES, I dont see the actual compiler option to be added.
Will just adding " -advanced-telemetry" to compiler options enable Scout
profiling capability to Apache Flex 4.10 apps?

Thanks,
Om

Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:34 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apache Flex 4.10 supports advanced telemetry, there's no need to use any
> script and/or air app to enable advanced telemetry.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Justin,

Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

AW: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Marcus,

well I used the little Air app to enable the advanced telemetry for my SWFs and it seems that they are now sending data to Scout. I am sort of currently struggling to find out how to actually use Scout to track down the problem as this tool really seems to work differently than Java Profilers such as JProfiler for example. But I think I found out some more cause after enabling the "CPU Usage" I am now actually getting some more information that is helping me.

But to understand you right: In a multi-module application you need to enable every single SWF?

Chris

Posted by Marcus Wilkinson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Yes, every executed .swf needs to emit telemetry data for scout to pick up
on it. Just enabling telemetry on the parent one is not enough.

RE: Usage of Adobe Scout

Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Posted by Marcus Wilkinson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Chris,