Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Graham Baecher <gb...@hubspot.com> on 2016/11/18 15:46:00 UTC

write performance regression in CDH 5.9?

Hi all,

We're looking to update the HBase version we're running on our servers, but
noticed while comparing performance test results a the previous version
that Puts now seem to be slower.
Specifically, comparing HBase 1.2.0-cdh5.9.0 to 1.2.0-cdh5.8.0 using YCSB,
it looks like mean read latency is improved in cdh5.9 but mean write
latency is worse, and the net effect in a 50% read/50% write workload is a
performance degradation. FWIW, we've been testing with
`hbase.ipc.server.callqueue.type` = "deadline" on both versions.

Has anyone else using CDH 5.9.0 HBase run into this, or know what might be
the cause?

~Graham

Re: write performance regression in CDH 5.9?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Graham Baecher <gb...@hubspot.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're looking to update the HBase version we're running on our servers, but
> noticed while comparing performance test results a the previous version
> that Puts now seem to be slower.
> Specifically, comparing HBase 1.2.0-cdh5.9.0 to 1.2.0-cdh5.8.0 using YCSB,
> it looks like mean read latency is improved in cdh5.9 but mean write
> latency is worse, and the net effect in a 50% read/50% write workload is a
> performance degradation. FWIW, we've been testing with
> `hbase.ipc.server.callqueue.type` = "deadline" on both versions.
>
> Has anyone else using CDH 5.9.0 HBase run into this, or know what might be
> the cause?

Hey Graham:

If you do pure YCSB write, do you see a difference? You updated HBase and
HDFS? Whats cluster size and commands you are running so can try replicate?

You are using a vendor's hbase so we'd suggest you go ping the vendor on
their mailing lists. That said, I'm interested if a regression in the 1.2
line (I'm not sure anyone has run compares of patch versions on 1.2 line).
I'm game for trying to figure which commit was responsible. I
opened HBASE-17128 as a working issue on which we can ping/pong
configs/test runs.

Posted by Graham Baecher <gb...@hubspot.com>.
Thanks Jeremy.
I ran the regressed workload this morning with FIFO enabled and though it
was faster, it looks like it was a flat ~1ms faster for both reads and
writes. This doesn't compensate for the write performance dropoff, so even
with FIFO our 5.9 writes are slower than 5.8.

Posted by Jeremy Carroll <ph...@gmail.com>.