Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ingo Schmidt <li...@der-ingo.de> on 2007/08/06 13:16:02 UTC

Merging to trunk from branch with replaced files

Hi everyone!

Following scenario:
- I have a working copy of trunk with some local modifications
- I now use SmartSVN feature to create a branch from the WC
  This results in one single svn action. I get a new branch which is
  an exact copy of what was in my WC
- I do my changes in the branch
- Now I want to merge back my changes

While working on the branch, no changes were made in trunk.

svn log -v on the branch gives following output:
r1852 | xyz | 2007-07-03 11:37:30 +0200 (Di, 03 Jul 2007) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   A /branches/test (from /trunk:1844)
   R /branches/test/bla/test1.txt (from /trunk/bla/test1.txt:1846)
   A /branches/test/bla/test2.txt (from /trunk/bla/test2.txt:1850)

r1853 | xyz | 2007-07-03 12:36:30 +0200 (Di, 03 Jul 2007) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /branches/test/bla/test2.txt

Now I use:
svn merge -r 1852:1853 svn://host/project/branches/test

It is quite expected that this only merges the changes of test2.txt
into trunk.
However, what do I do, if I want the whole branch as it is as my new
trunk? Or rather:
Only what changed in my branch (including the files with status R)
should be taken over to trunk.

Probably a better way of creating the branch would have been to make a
branch of trunk, then switch to the branch and only then commit my
local changes.

Any comments on that?

Cheers, Ingo =;->

Re[2]: Merging to trunk from branch with replaced files

Posted by Ingo Schmidt <li...@der-ingo.de>.
Hi Ryan!

> Yes, to your last paragraph: that would have been the way to create
> the branch. Since you did not do that, I do not know how to
> accomplish what you want to do.

Ok, thanks for the answer. But it wasn't me who did that.

Subversion is new at my company and even though I urged everyone to
read the docs, or at least the most important chapters (I listed them
all) and read the FAQ I created and listen to what I say or call me
before doing new things, nobody is doing this and this is the
result...

So now I tried to clean up this mess and hoped there is maybe an easy
way. Maybe I should apply a write restriction to "branches" so they
have to call me before creating a branch ;)

Cheers, Ingo =;->

Re: Merging to trunk from branch with replaced files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.