Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2014/04/30 15:53:10 UTC

Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Hello Maarten,

I do not know a lot about git either.

Here are the advantages I see in migrating to git :

- git allows third-parties to clone an original repository and in fact to create a fork while keeping the possibility of contributing back what they have created if they want to, and also importantly to incorporate inside their branches changes done elsewhere including in the reference repository. So I see git as having the same strategic importance for the source code like the fact of uploading the ant jars to maven central is for the use of the binaries.

- for the developers of the Apache project - us - the small advantages are to be able to commit stuff locally on our computers before pushing when we are happy with our changes. Also one can switch branch very quickly within the same workspace when using git, this might be an advantage.

- because of the popularity of git I imagine that the change is good for the long run but this is speculation

I imagine that some corporations, individuals,or other open source organizations will take advantage of our projects moving to git to create these forks, either because the contribution process via JIRA is too slow, or because they want to create proprietary enhancements, or because they are not sure that the changes that they do match the views /plans... of our the Ant/Ivy/Ivyde/Easyant Apache project.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Git is great for making small branches for things like bugfixes, features,
refactors, etc. That plus it's way faster than Subversion. Freaky fast.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-05-07, Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:

> I don’t know whether an option of using only github and not the ASF
> hosted git is acceptable for the ASF ? for the Ant committers ?

For the ASF the only thing that matters is that the ASF git instance is
the source of truth.  Tags are there and the source releases match the
tags inside the ASF git repo.

My personal preference is using the command line (or in fact magit)
rather than one-click merges in github, but that's me being a strange
kind of old fart.  YMMV and I can certainly stick with the CLI even if
the rest of the team decided any other way.

> There is a file
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/docs/github_team.txt
> which links the apache user ids of committers with their github ids, I
> wonder whether this linkage gives write access to the github mirrors
> of Apache projects ?

No, it doesn't.  It associates your github account with your ASF account
so commits to ASF projects show up on your personal github page - and
you become a member of the apache org at github.

AFAIK there is no write access to the github mirrors.

Stefan

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Yeah. You can get emails from GitHub for PRs, and the email always gives
the commands to pull it into your local repo and push it back to origin.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I added my GH account info a while ago, but it only added my account to the
ASF organization on GH. It's kinda buggy with linking histories even, and
INFRA isn't too interested in resolving those issues since it's outside ASF.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

    $ git pull https://github.com/user/repo branchname

    https://github.com/apache/ant/1234.patch

    This closes #1234

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

AW: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Matt, Jesse,

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Jesse Glick <ty...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
While I was getting to know better another ASF project Spark [1], I have found that they use git, and they heavily use github in their workflow. So I asked them how they work it it [2].

Of course the ASF git repo is the official source repo. But contributions are asked to go through github. A pull request is open there, discussion may happen there [3]. And once a committer is satisfied with the result, the work is being imported into the git repo with a script [4].

I am not suggesting we use that workflow or we shouldn't use it. It is just an interesting workflow I have found and which we may discuss.

Nicolas

[1] https://spark.apache.org/
[3] https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/634
[4] https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/dev/merge_spark_pr.py

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Hoped for advantages of migrating to git

Posted by Andre-John Mas <an...@gmail.com>.
Fair point.

Posted by Josh Suereth <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andre-John Mas <an...@gmail.com>.