Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/04/04 00:33:27 UTC

[Action2] Replacing the OpenSymphony copyright

Patrick's code grant came in, so we can now replace the copyright on all the OpenSymphony-licensed files.  While I don't
mind doing the grunt work, I had a question: is there a "policy" on the use of the $Id line as the first line in the
license?  Does it require any subversion configuration for it to be replaced properly?

TIA,

Don

Re: [Action2] Replacing the OpenSymphony copyright

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/4/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> So you want both the OS copyright and Apache copyright on each file?  If
> there is a legal concern, I'm sure Patrick
> could just draft something that says it only needs our copyright.  I
> really don't want to change the copyrights on every
> file again :)

I'm not expressing a preference one way or the other, just stating the facts
as I understand them. I honestly don't know who, if anyone, would be
impacted by, or care about, the removal of the OS copyright, other than
perhaps the OpenSymphony organisation. Not knowing much about how OS works,
I'd guess that as long as their Steering Committee (i.e. Patrick and Hani)
are OK with it, then we're fine.

--
Martin Cooper

Don

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> So you want both the OS copyright and Apache copyright on each file?  If there is a legal concern, I'm sure Patrick
> could just draft something that says it only needs our copyright.  I really don't want to change the copyrights on every
> file again :)

Recently, there was talk of relaxing the policy of placing a copyright
in every source file. Instead, we could use a single COPYRIGHT.txt
file that could be placed with the NOTICE.txt in the distribution
root. You might want to check with Cliff <cl...@apache.org> to see if
it's been approved but not reported in the minutes yet. From the March
board report, it sounds like it's the next thing on his list.

-T.

[http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_09_21.txt]

   E. V.P. of Legal Affairs [Cliff Schmidt]

       COPYRIGHT NOTICES: I have gotten Jason, Larry, Robyn, and
          even Eben Moglen to all agree that we should be fine
          with no copyright notice at the top of each source file,
          and instead just include a licensing notice similar to
          what Roy recently posted to the Board@ list.  The issue
          that isn't quite solved yet is the mechanics of ensuring
          any COPYRIGHT file or section of the NOTICE file is in
          sync with the CLAs and agreements from outside contributors.

[http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_10_26.txt]

       COPYRIGHT NOTICES: Last month I reported that I was getting
          general agreement from our counsel to move to a policy
          that requires only a licensing notice, but not a
          copyright notice at the top of each source file.  I
          regret to say that I have made very little progress on
          this issue since last month.  I'll have this ready for
          next board meeting.

[http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_11_16.txt]

       COPYRIGHT NOTICES: Our counsel will be giving one final review
            on the copyright notice issue starting this Friday
            (during a monthly teleconference).  Should have something
            ready within one week after that.

Re: [Action2] Replacing the OpenSymphony copyright

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
I thought about that, however, I couldn't just blanket replace headers, as different files had different copyrights, and
only the OpenSymphony ones could I remove.  For example, we have several from ePlus, Pico container, then a few with
"Your corporation" :)

Don

Posted by Rob Leland <le...@speakeasy.net>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/3/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> Patrick's code grant came in, so we can now replace the copyright on all the OpenSymphony-licensed files.  While I don't
> mind doing the grunt work, I had a question: is there a "policy" on the use of the $Id line as the first line in the
> license?
<snip/>

Don't know (about Struts, that is -- I don't think there is such a
ASF-wide policy).

>  Does it require any subversion configuration for it to be replaced properly?

<snap/>

Usually none other than having the correct svn:keywords property set.

-Rahul

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Apr 3, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Don Brown wrote:

> is there a "policy" on the use of the $Id line as the first line in
> the license?  Does it require any subversion configuration for it
> to be replaced properly?

If I understand correctly $id$, $Rev$, $Date$, etc. are internal
subversion properties.  IOW, you don't have to set them, they get
replaced automatically.  Wendy, is that correct?

The following snippet is from the Struts Maintenance SVN wiki page:

     http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsMaintenanceSvn

Struts Subversion Property Settings
Java Source Files
When adding a new java source file the following should be set up:

The new file should have the following properties:

svn:eol-style property set to native
svn:keywords property set to date author id rev
The new file should contain the following keywords:

add the $id$ keyword in the license comments at the top of the file
add @version $Rev$ $Date$ to the javadoc

Greg