Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by "Erb, Stephan" <St...@blue-yonder.com> on 2016/01/27 00:01:36 UTC

Job-Aggregation

Hi,

I've noticed that a couple of people [1, 2] have independently talked about aggregating multiple Aurora jobs to  'logical services'. Internally, we also do something similar. I am wondering if there is a broader concept waiting to be discovered as an Aurora feature. As a kind of related concept, Marathon does have its application groups [3] and Kubernetes its pods [4].

Does anyone have thoughts on this?   That's a pretty open ended question here, but would be unfortunate if many Aurora users end up building a similar thing independently.

Regards,
Stephan

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/aurora-user/201512.mbox/%3CCABwOPbetX_pA%3Dq8fUCWHB%2B9R1JdD8V4m_S6T2AVDvmwn36t4Cg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1052?focusedCommentId=15108936&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15108936
[3] https://mesosphere.github.io/marathon/docs/application-groups.html
[4] http://kubernetes.io/v1.0/docs/user-guide/pods.html

Re: Job-Aggregation

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.
That's about what i figured.  I've observed several behavioral features in
this area like dependencies and group-wise scaling.  However, i have a hard
time believing those tend to be that useful in practice.

Re: Job-Aggregation

Posted by "Erb, Stephan" <St...@blue-yonder.com>.

Re: Job-Aggregation

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.