Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by sharif islam <sh...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 23:25:55 UTC

group authorization

According to this page: http://solprovider.com/lenya/security lenya
(1.2) cannot assign specific permissions to groups:

" This is a hack because Lenya 1.2.2 does not meet its own specifications:
Excerpt from http://lenya.apache.org:
Security: The access control allows you to restrict access to parts of
your site to members of a group or individuals.
 This may be possible, but it is not easy, and cannot be configured by
the typical developer (meaning I could not figure it out, and my
skills are advanced well beyond the typical developer.) "

I created a group called 'myGroup' with a member 'newUser'. Then I
created a new page under the home directory login in as admin. I gave
edit role to the group 'myGroup' for that new page. (Home->newpage).
I was able to edit the new page only after I added 'newUser' to the
edit group. However, that also allowed me to edit the Home page. I
didn't want that. This seems to be a pretty basic functionality. I am
not sure what I am missing.

--Sharif

Re: group authorization

Posted by sharif islam <sh...@gmail.com>.
On 2/3/06, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> It should be sufficient to give them the role "visit" for the
> whole site. If they can edit something with this role, something
> else is broken (e.g., the usecase-policies or the workflow
> declaration).

ok, that worked. I had to assign the role in the authoring level for
the whole site. So:
mySite
	Authoring
		Tutorial
Go to Authoring. Click on AC Auth tab and assign the role. I still can
see all other pages, but just edit the designated ones.

--Sharif

Re: group authorization

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Bob Harner wrote:

[...]

>> One drawback remains: The newUser can only login into the
>> /newpage but not into any other page. That means he has to remember the
>> page title in order to login into the system :-(
>>
>> Jann
>>

> Yes, that last behavior is a real annoyance to my customers, and I
> wonder if anyone knows how to change it so that such restricted users
> can log into the top level (home page) but still only be able to edit
> their specific sub-tree.

It should be sufficient to give them the role "visit" for the
whole site. If they can edit something with this role, something
else is broken (e.g., the usecase-policies or the workflow
declaration).

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: group authorization

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: group authorization

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 2/2/06, sharif islam <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to this page: http://solprovider.com/lenya/security lenya
> (1.2) cannot assign specific permissions to groups:
>
> " This is a hack because Lenya 1.2.2 does not meet its own specifications:
> Excerpt from http://lenya.apache.org:
> Security: The access control allows you to restrict access to parts of
> your site to members of a group or individuals.
>  This may be possible, but it is not easy, and cannot be configured by
> the typical developer (meaning I could not figure it out, and my
> skills are advanced well beyond the typical developer.) "
>
> I created a group called 'myGroup' with a member 'newUser'. Then I
> created a new page under the home directory login in as admin. I gave
> edit role to the group 'myGroup' for that new page. (Home->newpage).
> I was able to edit the new page only after I added 'newUser' to the
> edit group. However, that also allowed me to edit the Home page. I
> didn't want that. This seems to be a pretty basic functionality. I am
> not sure what I am missing.

I love being quoted, but that page is about limiting access for
"Member's Only Sections" while reading the website.  It does not
concern authoring/editing documents (although a side effect of using
those instructions is an editor who edits a page they cannot access
will not see the previous contents, and it will not appear in the
"Authoring" menu, but the "Site" tab is a hole.)

My opinion is each Document should enforce its own security
("adminGroup" and "group1" can read and edit, "group2" can read,
"registered" can read or not, "anonymous" can read or not); a Document
should not appear on menus if you do not have read access, and
accessing anything without read access responds "This resource does
not exist or you are not authorized to access it." (same message if
the link is bad or the resource does not exist.)

There have been improvements in Lenya's security since 1.2.2, and
hopefully someone knowledgeable about them will respond.  What version
are you using?

solprovider