Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Donie Kelly <do...@tecnomen.ie> on 2001/10/15 15:01:23 UTC

When does tomcat 4.0 use a chunked response

Hi all

I was wondering when does tomcat decide to use a chunked response. I have a
servlet which creates a response in a string and outputs it in one go. The
response however, is coming back to our client in chunked format.

Example:

String response="<?xml version=\"1.0\"?> <!DOCTYPE pap PUBLIC \"-
//WAPFORUM//DTD PAP 1.0//EN\"" +
		"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/PAP1.0.dtd?>\r\n" +
		"<pap>\r\n" +
		"<push-response push-id=\"none\">\r\n" +
		"<response-result code=\"1001\"></response-result>\r\n" +
		"</push-response>\r\n" +
		"</pap>\r\n";

out.println(response);

This generates a chunked response. If I add the following line it outputs it
as normal...

res.setContentLength(response.length());

Any ideas why it decides to use chunked in the first example?
Thanks
Donie