Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Hufgard <ch...@gmx.de> on 2004/02/20 09:18:31 UTC

maxProcessors = max ammout of concurrent connections?

Hi folks,

did not found this question answered, neither in the faqs, nor in the
archive of this mailing list, nor in bugzilla.

Like in the subject described, my question is, wether the attribute
maxProcessors in the Connector tag sets the maximum ammount of concurrent connections
the CoyeteConnector handles.

I tested this on Tomcat up to 4.1.24 with jdk 1.4.2 on debian with kernel
2.4.19, since this is our productive environment. If i set up the connector in
server.xml with the following parameters:

    <!-- Define a non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

I find a pretty strange behaviour (if maxProcessors should be max
Connections):
My test programm (jdk 1.4) tries to open up 80 connections to the tomcat and
send some continueus requests to a webapps that create some load on the
server. The requests use HTTP/1.1 to keep the connection opened and request a
page each half second with variing parameters..
I would expect, that 15 connections would be opened. 10 active + 5 on hold.
What I see is, that normally 18 connections are accepted upon startup of my
programm. After 8 seconds another two connections are established, 12 seconds
later, again two new connections... This leads up to about 30-40
connections.

So, finally I precise my question a bit: What exactly does maxProcessors
mean? If it does not mean max concurrent connections, how many connections can
one processor handle?

Hope I could describe my problem fairly enough :)

Greets,

Christian

Re: maxProcessors = max ammout of concurrent connections?

Posted by Christian Hufgard <ch...@gmx.de>.
> I have several machines running tomcat now, but I like to get it tuned for
> higher load.  How can I find out the maximum processors I shoudl accept ?
> Just putting in a high number of course results in very slow processing of
> request, resulting in people refreshing, results in even more processes,
> results in even slower replies, results in more refreshers :)

Well, think you should not set the max processors to high, that the machine
takes longer time to handle the requests. You should define your maximum
response time and the figure out, how many request you can process at once in
this time.

> Any idea how to 'tune' the Maximum connectors and the acceptcount.  Is it
> really needed to have an acceptcount ?
If the acceptCount is zero, the user will get an message, saying him that
the server cannot be reached. If he is in the accepted queue, he will be shown
that the server has been contacted and is about to process his request.

Christian

Posted by Pepijn Palmans - Kangaroot <pe...@kangaroot.net>.

Posted by Christian Hufgard <ch...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Pepijn Palmans - Kangaroot <pe...@kangaroot.net>.

Deploying to ROOT problem

Posted by Andrew Watters <an...@gointernet.co.uk>.
I'm using the deployer via an ant task to deploy my application. I am
using deployer 5.0.18 on windows and deploying to tomcat 5.0.18 on both
windows and linux.  The following works fine

    <deploy url="${server.url}/manager"
            username="${deployer.username}"
            password="${deployer.password}"
            path="/${web.app}"
            war="${dist}/${web.app}.war"
            update="true" />

I also need to deploy to root. I have tried both

    <deploy url="${server.url}/manager"
            username="${deployer.username}"
            password="${deployer.password}"
            path="/"
            war="${dist}/${web.app}.war"
            update="true" />

and

    <deploy url="${server.url}/manager"
            username="${deployer.username}"
            password="${deployer.password}"
            path="/ROOT"
            war="${dist}/${web.app}.war"
            update="true" />

The first option completes successfully but I can see no evidence of my
application being unpacked; browsing to '/' doesn't show my application.
The second option also completes successfully and this time I see the
application unpacked under webapps/ROOT; browsing to '/' doesn't help
but browsing to '/ROOT/' shows that my appplication is there.

Does anybody know how to deploy to root using the deployer please? Any
help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Error Message:

Posted by Santos Jha <sa...@adelphia.net>.
Dear All,

My System was running fine for about last one month. Suddenly it start
to malfunction. and I start to get following messages.
I am not sure what they mean. I will appreciate if some one can throw
some light on it. Thank you.
Santos

WebappClassLoader: Lifecycle error : CL stopped
WebappClassLoader: Lifecycle error : CL stopped
java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
        at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Thread.java:1071)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1329)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1289)
        at org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory.findProviderClass(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory.findJarServiceProvider(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory.createObject(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory.createObject(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.npac.nmt.msg.XmlData.<init>(XmlData.java:21)
        at
com.npac.nmt.msg.MessageDirector.messageSubType(MessageDirector.java:38)
        at
com.npac.nmt.agentComm.AgentCommunicator.ExchangeMsg(AgentCommunicator.java:
645)
        at
com.npac.nmt.agentComm.AgentCommunicator.run(AgentCommunicator.java:694)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory$ConfigurationError: Provider
org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration not found
[...]
        at oppClassLoader: Lifecycle error : CL stopped
[...]
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)rg.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory.new
Instance(Unknown Source)

A Tomcast Feature:

Posted by Justin Ruffin <ju...@vcjp.net>.
Is a feature for including in Tomcat that would enable me to include
config files into the main config.

Thanks,
Justin