Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2004/03/21 18:41:47 UTC

Cactus redux

Hi,

There are several pieces of code that are located in the Cactus project
(namely in our Ant integration module) and which could be useful to
others independently of the Cactus context:

1- an API to manipulate the web.xml deployment descriptor (read and
write).
2- an API to start/stop containers
3- an API to create container configuration

- API 1 is useful to any container writer in particular. Thus I believe
containers like Geronimo must probably already have such an API. I'll
ask on the Geronimo mailing list to check it out. If they do, and if
this API is nicely packaged in a thin jar (a jar used to manipulate
servlet deployment descriptors for example), would you be ok to have
Cactus Ant integration depend on it?

- For 2 and 3, what would you think about creating a Jakarta Commons
project/a Codehaus project or possibly a Geronimo subproject for that?
It could be called something like "Container Client Interface" (CCI).
I'm not sure yet how much time I'll have for this but I'd like to know
what you think so that we have some direction on what we'd like to
achieve.

Thanks
-Vincent
Wanna see JUnit in Action?
(http://manning.com/massol)

Re: Cactus redux

Posted by Nicholas Lesiecki <nd...@yahoo.com>.
> - API 1 is useful to any container writer in particular. Thus I believe
> containers like Geronimo must probably already have such an API. I'll
> ask on the Geronimo mailing list to check it out. If they do, and if
> this API is nicely packaged in a thin jar (a jar used to manipulate
> servlet deployment descriptors for example), would you be ok to have
> Cactus Ant integration depend on it?

Fine with me. I'm all about code reuse.

> - For 2 and 3, what would you think about creating a Jakarta Commons
> project/a Codehaus project or possibly a Geronimo subproject for that?
> It could be called something like "Container Client Interface" (CCI).
> I'm not sure yet how much time I'll have for this but I'd like to know
> what you think so that we have some direction on what we'd like to
> achieve.

I wouldn't mind that either. It seems like another reusable piece...

Cheers,
Nick

RE: Cactus redux

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Good point. I'll ask on the Geronimo ML.

> > - For 2 and 3, what would you think about creating a Jakarta Commons
> > project/a Codehaus project or possibly a Geronimo subproject for
that?
> > It could be called something like "Container Client Interface"
(CCI).
> > I'm not sure yet how much time I'll have for this but I'd like to
know
> > what you think so that we have some direction on what we'd like to
> > achieve.
>
> Ah, deja vu ;-)

:-)

> I don't really see a need to factor out this code "just for the fun of
> it". If there are potential clients other than Cactus that express
> interest in participating in the further development of the code,
sure.

Then I guess the only way to know is to ask on mailing lists and see if
there's any reaction. I'll do that.

> But if not, we only create extra work for the Cactus contributors,
with
> the single benefit of having cleaned up project scope a bit.

My first reason to extract this part from the cactus code base is indeed
to get some new blood to contribute to it. There are still lots of
containers we do not support. There are still lots of stuff that would
really help like JMX support, better configuration features, etc. I feel
that this project could be of a lot of interest to others. Namely:

- all IDE plugin writers who wishes to start/stop containers (there are
quite a few, including Lomboz for Eclipse, etc).

- all build tools (Ant/Maven/etc) who need ways to automate
starting/stopping containers

ATM, these 2 categories have some home-baked solutions which are not
readily available for others to use. I'd like to put all that in common.
I do agree though that we need some help to do this effectively. I'll
start some discussions with those groups and see what they think.

> Not that I'm against code reuse in any way: I just don't like
splitting
> up code bases only because it seems logical in theory, while in the
> real world the same guys keep working on the code, only now they have
> to track more CVS modules, manage releases and websites of more
> products, etc.

hehe... that's very true :-)

There needs to be some counter-benefits. And for us this would probably
be in the form of more contributions/help.

Thanks for your input, extremely valuable as always! :-)
-Vincent

Re: Cactus redux

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.

/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de