Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2009/08/28 01:19:03 UTC

maven-compat vs. Mercury Re: mvn install always overwrites files

I fixed this issue in r808537 in 3.0 trunk and r808535 in 2.2.x.

I note that I fixed this in DefaultArtifactInstaller, which now lives in
maven-compat, suggesting that it has been deprecated for the future...?

Is there some similar code that needs to be updated in Mercury?

-Dan

Re: maven-compat vs. Mercury Re: mvn install always overwrites files

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 27-Aug-09, at 4:19 PM, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> I fixed this issue in r808537 in 3.0 trunk and r808535 in 2.2.x.
>
> I note that I fixed this in DefaultArtifactInstaller, which now
> lives in maven-compat, suggesting that it has been deprecated for
> the future...?
>
> Is there some similar code that needs to be updated in Mercury?

No. I will incorporate any changes in 3.x. I'm not going to attempt a
flip of the resolution system until after 3.0. There is a new unified
interface called the RepositorySystem and the transport will changed
to use the Jetty client. Aside from that the changes you made will
make it into the 3.0 release. If you want to make sure that what
you've done remains across refactoring it would appreciated if you
would write an IT so that it will be impossible to forget the
improvement you have made.

> -Dan
>
> Dan Fabulich wrote:
>

>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MARTIFACT-19
>> DefaultArtifactInstaller should only overwrite files if timestamp
>> has changed
>>
>> This bug seems really bad for performance in large reactor builds
>> or even just for builds with large jars/wars/assemblies.  The fix
>> appears to be a one-line fix.
>>
>> I'm surprised it's gone this long without being noticed...  Is
>> there some non-obvious reason not to do this?
>>
>> I think I'm going to just check in the change in maven-2/branches/
>> maven-2.2.x and repeat the change in trunk sometime tomorrow unless
>> somebody objects. (It results in a nice pick-me-up on my machine...)
>>
>> -Dan

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language