Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Susan Bradeen <sb...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/08 21:42:05 UTC

[OT] Running one web application in another.

I have two web applications. App A is a finished, working web
application. App B, a work in progress, is using Struts and Tiles, and
has a requirement to essentially 'put App A in a content Tile' for use
in App B. This will in affect produce a 'portal-like' function, with
App A working as normal within the 'framework' produced by App B.
(Hopefully that makes some sense.) Housing App A is not the sole
purpose of App B, but just one functionality requirement.

>From a search in the archives, it seems that Tiles is not (or can't
functionally be) the way to accomplish this. Opening a second browser
and running App A in there is also not an option. I am not very
familiar with Frames (and I didn't get a good reponse when I brought
it up), but would this be my best choice? Other recommendations? Any
pointers to information about doing something like this are also
greatly appreciated. Googling for a set of options/pros&cons hasn't
given me much so far.

Thanks,
Susan Bradeen

Re: [OT] Running one web application in another.

Posted by Susan Bradeen <sb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:35:05 -0700, Michael McGrady
<mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> wrote:
> I am unclear as to what you want to do.  I realize you have two web
> applications and want in some sense one to port to the other, but beyond
> that cannot tell what the requirements are.  You could have many
> different requirements in that situation and which you do have is not clear.

Appologies for not being clear enough.

> On frames, that probably won't work if you already have frames in AppA,
> for obvious reasons, e.g. "target='_top'".

Good point.

> I am assuming that you want to port a non-struts application to struts.
> That should be not difficult, if that is is.  Is it?  Could you be more
> explicit about the situation you face?  Is there any reasons why AppA
> and AppB cannot co-exist in the same application?  That would be the
> natural solution, if possible, viz. if you want AppA in AppB, put it in
> there.  However, your requirements may make that impossible.

No, not porting a non-Struts app to a Struts app. They are both Struts
apps to some degree. Yes, I am trying to get the two apps to co-exist.
The "put it in there" part, as you stated, was what I couldn't get my
head around. Finally realized I was going about it somewhat
arse-backwards, and most of the fog cleared. Thanks to you and Frank
for taking time to respond.

Susan

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.