Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tom Allison <to...@tacocat.net> on 2006/11/24 19:49:25 UTC

postgres database

I was reading through the man pages about the use of a database for the storage
of bayesian tokens.

Is this a list that is global to the mail server, or something that is distinct
for each user of that mail server?

In other words -- will I have the exact same bayesian history in my token
library as my myspace living teenagers, or will this be seperated by user?

Re: postgres database

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Tom Allison wrote:

>> To set up SQL for Bayes look at:
>>
>> /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/sql or
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BetterDocumentation/SqlReadmeBayes
>>
>> To set site-wide bayes with sql, either:
>>
>> 1. Always call spamc or spamassassin with the same user
>> 2. set 'bayes_sql_override_username' in local.cf (from perldoc
>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf)
>> 3. perhaps a different way that's not obvious to me
>>
>> Also, per-user configuration files are a separate issue from Bayes.
>> You could set up per-user Bayes with sql and still have site-wide
>> configuration.
>>

> How will spamassassin know what user I want to pull the data from?
> Do I have to provide this on the spamc command line?

Spamassassin user is determined by:

spamc: if spamd is started by root, then spamc runs as whatever user
calls spamc.  If spamassassin is integrated in your MTA, then it might
be your MTA user or your MTA might be set up to use the user for
delivery.  Both spamd and spamc allow for setting a specific '-u'.  This
is explained in the manual pages for spamd and spamc.

site-wide: you can set site-wide options in local.cf, so that no matter
what user calls spamc, the same bayes database is used.  'perldoc
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' gives information about this, as well there
are good site-wide docs in the spamassassin wiki.

sql: If you are using sql for bayes, then I don't think the site-wide
configuration in local.cf will work.  Instead you can specify the
username to use for bayes sql in local.cf.

So, if you went to use bayes sql database as a specific user, there are
4 ways, as described as above:

1. set '-u' for spamd
2. set '-u' for spamc
3. have your MTA always call spamc with the same user

(the previous three will have no effect when using 'spamassassin' or
'sa-learn' commands, so you would need to again specify the user when
using those commands)

4. set 'bayes_sql_override_username' in local.cf
(this will work for spamc, spamassassin, and sa-learn, but only for
bayes.  AWL and user prefs are not affected by this.

--
Chris

Re: postgres database

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.