Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org> on 2002/09/09 05:36:51 UTC

Is it time to split the APR/HTTPD releases ?

APR now has version management.
is it time to stop just tagging the HEAD of the apr/apr-util trees
when we make a release and just use the offically released ones?
ie.. we would bundle apr 0.9.1 with httpd 2.0.41,
and possibly further on, not bundle apr in the httpd-tar ball, and
just document/check the minimum version required?

--Ian

Re: Is it time to split the APR/HTTPD releases ?

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Ben Hyde wrote:
> Ian Holsman wrote:
>  > APR now has version management.
>  > is it time to stop just tagging the HEAD of the apr/apr-util trees
>
> +1
>
> This would also change way an httpd 2.0 developer develops, yes?
>
>  - ben

yes, it could.
It would encourage non-apr developers of httpd to just use the latest
release of APR, and allow developers of APR to move forward with some
larger changes without having to worry about breaking HTTPD for a week
or so.

Re: Is it time to split the APR/HTTPD releases ?

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
> On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 02:47, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
>>[sorry for the crosspost. I'm moving this branch of the conversation
>>to the dev@apr list]
>>

>>On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:37:35PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>>>The hardest problem is that httpd uses m4 files from APR. That means that
>>>APR *must* be present at srclib/apr/ when somebody runs 'buildconf'. After
>>>that, we *might* be able to toss srclib/apr, but I doubt it. I bet there are
>>>still quite a few paths into srclib/apr/build/ for Apache's build system.
>>>(but then again, I haven't looked... maybe when the FIND_APR work was done,
>>>everything was switched over to use the "found" APR rather than assuming
>>>that APR was placed into srclib)
>>
>>This is why I really liked your apr-build project idea, so that we
>>could get all those useful .m4 files out into their own project to be
>>installed on any system that might need it. I have multiple projects
>>that right now do something lame like check apr_common.m4 into their
>>codebase so they can use the funtions in there, but it would be really
>>handy to just search for those in some standard locations the same way
>>we search for include files (for example).

couldn't this be done via the apr-config thingy we have ?
I kind of like the idea of having APR doing all the heavy m4 work, and
just get the 'users' of apr a config program to get the default values

Posted by Joshua Moore-Oliva <jo...@chatgris.com>.
I think that would be a great idea...  As long as apr still came bundled
into apache, I woul dhave tons of uses for apr separate from apache.

Josh.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> [sorry for the crosspost. I'm moving this branch of the conversation
> to the dev@apr list]

Except of course that we have ezmlm munge the reply-to headers so
you can't control such things...

 - ask (who couldn't resist, sorry)  :-)

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ !try; do();

Re: Is it time to split the APR/HTTPD releases ?

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Agreed.

I'd like to pop APR 0.9.1 out the door (or see somebody do it), then
replicate the various logic bits over to apr-util and release that.

Once done, then we can "detach" httpd from the floating APR(UTIL) stuff.
Specifically, since httpd uses the FIND_APR m4 macro, it can find a
pre-installed APR rather than always using the bundled one.

The hardest problem is that httpd uses m4 files from APR. That means that
APR *must* be present at srclib/apr/ when somebody runs 'buildconf'. After
that, we *might* be able to toss srclib/apr, but I doubt it. I bet there are
still quite a few paths into srclib/apr/build/ for Apache's build system.
(but then again, I haven't looked... maybe when the FIND_APR work was done,
everything was switched over to use the "found" APR rather than assuming
that APR was placed into srclib)

Regardless... from a *tagging* standpoint, we should stop tagging APR(UTIL)
with httpd tags. When we bundle releases, it should be done using three
tags: one for httpd, one for apr, and one for apr-util.

Cheers,
-g

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:49:06PM -0400, rbb@apache.org wrote:

> +1, as soon as both APR and APR-util have a release.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
> > APR now has version management.
> > is it time to stop just tagging the HEAD of the apr/apr-util trees
> > when we make a release and just use the offically released ones?
> > ie.. we would bundle apr 0.9.1 with httpd 2.0.41,
> > and possibly further on, not bundle apr in the httpd-tar ball, and
> > just document/check the minimum version required?
> >
> > --Ian

> 550 Jean St
> Oakland CA 94610

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Is it time to split the APR/HTTPD releases ?

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
+1, as soon as both APR and APR-util have a release.

Ryan

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Ian Holsman wrote:

> APR now has version management.
> is it time to stop just tagging the HEAD of the apr/apr-util trees
> when we make a release and just use the offically released ones?
> ie.. we would bundle apr 0.9.1 with httpd 2.0.41,
> and possibly further on, not bundle apr in the httpd-tar ball, and
> just document/check the minimum version required?
>
> --Ian

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610